Could Bush have prevented 911 & Iraq?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by olVENICEdog, Feb 12, 2005.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I fully understand that, but what would be said of this war if an Islamic fundamentalist is the Iraqi people's choice to lead them? Seems to me if this scenario happens (and it's possible), then WE (the U.S) would be worse off than if the secular Hussein were still in power. The people of Iraq may (or may not) be better off, but we wouldn't.

2. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

It's common knowledge that only ONE group succeeded in toppling normal versions of popularly elected regimes in predominantly Muslim believing nation states...Afghanistan...and only then behind the strength of OBL and his $ and cult like status in that nation...

Its because the fundamentalists rule with force, as opposed to popular will, etc...

Look at what the Saudi Royal Crown went through...They were getting hand grenades tossed at them by their clerics, whom were trying to exert political and popular influence with "edicts" that totally contradicted the government's positions on both domestic and foreign policy. They have dedicated massive amounts of time and effort to corralling and eliminating the influence of these fundamentalist clerics...

That's what happens when you mix religion and politics...

But, in all honesty, NO ONE in Iraq wanted to return to a fundamentalist government...and the votes showed that, as well as the turnout...So your "what if" is inconsequential....We know the outcome, and we were right...and we have seen what happens when religious fundamentalist zealots take over the governing a country...

It's a non sequitir...We all knew that the Kurds and Iraqi's themselves both tried to rise up against Hussein, and we KNEW what he was doing to his people...or at least CNN did ;-)

Your question is a moot point...

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

The bigger question:

Could olVeniceDog's father have prevented olVeniceDog?

4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

It certainly looks that way and I hope you're right, but I'm not ready to concede. I still think, though unlikely, it's possible. I'll believe it when I actually see a secular or moderate government in power.

5. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

On Sunday the Independent Election Commission of Iraq issued the election results with the United Iraqi Alliance winning approximately 4.08 million of the 8.56 million votes cast. The Kurds won 2.17 million. The Kurds after being long oppressed by Saddam for decades are finally going to be given a say in drafting a constitution and electing leaders to represent them. This is the United Iraqi Alliance Platform

7. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

Could sabanfan get off my jock? Look kook I can mail you a towel b/c you are sweating me to hard. I never saw someone get so upset over an Internet character in my life.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I just enjoy watching you try to drop my rep points one at a time.

9. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I for one hardly ever add positive rep points...I only take away....I only give positive rep points when I try to take away from someone else and it says I must "Spread some more" around...

LOL

10. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

Thats nice of you.