Could Davey become a Dolphin..????

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUterrill, Jan 23, 2005.

1. tigerleg24

tigerleg24 Guest

Is Ro a free agent after this season or next season?

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I think he is a free agent after this season.

3. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

The Chargers will put the franchise tag on Brees, so don't expect the Fins to make a move for him. AJ Feeley is not their biggest concern anyway. It remains to be seen what he can do if he has more than one NFL-caliber lineman and WR. And a non-scout squad RB.

4. TD TIGER

TD TIGER Founding Member

Actually, I think SD has a lot of cap room as they have managed it very well. They'll likely apply the franchise tag to Brees which will force them to have to pay him $9 million for one year. Brees knows this is coming and has come out publicly and stated he wants to sign a long-term deal with the Chargers in order to apply some pressure to the organization. Additionally, the players (mainly Tomlinson, Gates, and McCardell) are campaigning for Brees' return. The likely result of this is someone trading for Rivers, unless the Chargers want a ton of cash tied up in the QB position. But, since they cleaned up last year with the Manning deal, they've got additional picks to go with a good cap situation and Rivers' money would be better used elsewhere.

Now, as far as Saban and the fins are concerned, look for them to trade down from the #2 spot. Saban wants to build the team with solid draft picks. Since the fins don't have many, he will look to stockpile them by draft-day trades, a-la Jimmy Johnson.

As for Davey becoming a Dolphin, I'd say it's highly unlikely any time soon. Maybe a future backup, but I don't think you'll see Saban running out there to sign a QB like Davey in year one with the intent on trying him out at starter, especially not just because he coached him. Another year in Europe and he may be ready, but he needs some more game experience first.

5. marcnbc

marcnbc Founding Member

One of my good friends is very good friends with Rohan(talks to him every 2 weeks or so & was on the field w/Ro at senior night along with Ro's family). Ro will be a restriced free agent after this year(1 year remaining on his contract) and will be free to sign with any club. The Pats can keep him if they match the offer. The Raiders & Fins showed interest in Ro last summer but the Pats wanted a second round pick and that scared them off. I could see NS bringing Ro down there if they don't make a play for Brees.

6. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

I don't see the point in making a move for Ro if you are the Dolphins, he would cost you (at least) a 3rd round pick, and the Phins already invested their second round pick this year in a QB in AJ Feeley. Feeley isn't that bad of a QB anyway, he is no Peyton Manning, but as NoLimit said, if you look at the talent on the line and at RB, it would be pretty much impossible for any QB to succeed.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

wouldnt shock me if they trade their top pick for more picks later in the draft...like JJ always did. Ced would be a good pick if they had the other pieces in place but he doesnt make a lot of sense unless they make a lot of other moves, starting with the O-line and qb. oh yeah and wide receivers and the aging defense.

8. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

This isn't the draft where you're going to find a lot of takers for a top 5 pick. They don't need any receivers, they're more set there than more than half of the teams in the NFL.

9. Houma Tiger

Houma Tiger Founding Member

This is what Saban's Phins will look like in 2005

QB. R. Davey
    RB. L. Toefield
    WR. D. Henderson
    WR. J. Reed
    TE. R. Royal

DE. M. Spears
    DE. M. Hill
    DT. C. Lavalis
    DT. K. Allen