Could it be the players?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by $TigerFan$, Nov 15, 2010.

1. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse but after looking at our coaching staff it made me think weather we are expecting more than our players can give right now. We have a ton of offensive coaching experience for us to be this bad.
    For example:
    Les has over 20 years as an assistant working with o-line and tight ends.
    Stud has over 20 years as an o-line coach
    Gonzales has 14 years coaching wide receivers
    Ensminger has 16 years with QB's, 6 years with Tight ends, 3 years with Wide Rec., and 9 years as an OC and passing game coordinator.
    Wilson even has a year with wide outs.
    Crowton has over 16 years as an OC, and 8 years with just QB's.

With that much experience to draw from you would think we could teach a couple 3rd year QB's to execute a drive and touchdown. Do they actually teach our guys and they just can't execute. Although I still think GC should go due to his play calling I wonder if our two QB's and WR just don't have the mental apptitude to run a passing offense.

Sorry for being negative, just wondering if anyone thought of the experience we have in coaching. I am happy with our W-L record and hope we win out.:tigereye:

2. souljaslim1

souljaslim1 Bigg Daddy

success or failure reflects LEADERSHIP.....

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I've wondered that myself. Could be just a combination of the quarterbacks and the system they are being asked to execute. a system that needs to be executed, literally.

4. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

LaSalle I,m with you, I find it hard to blame just the coaching staff. I looked at it because there seems to be no improvement from week to week. We show flashes of being able to do some great things on that side of the ball, but we are not consistant. I know it is leadership but other than our qb's we are really young on offense.

5. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

This I think is a big factor in much of our issues. Yes, GC isn't the greatest, but I think you maybe on to something. Also, could it just be that GC's O schemes are too difficult for the kids to comprehend? I just don't know, but I do agree it is more than just the coaches.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

:confused::confused:

7. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Curley Hallman had 16 years of coaching experience prior to LSU.

Mike Archer had 9 years of coaching experience before taking over HC duties at LSU.

Surely coaches with that much experience couldn't....nah, never mind, too easy.

Coaching experience by itself doesn't necessarily mean anything. As for the complexity of Crowton's offense, how much simpler can it get now? Something's very wrong when the frat guy behind me can correctly predict what our next play is. Our offense now consists of option, zone read, swing passes, bubble screens that go nowhere, sweeps with Shepard, occasional deep routes, and run up the gut. That's pretty simple.

Our QBs have the physical tools to be successful. The problems often boil down to poor decision-making under pressure, and as QB coach it is Crowton's job to teach these kids how to think and how to master the mental aspect of the game. After 3 years of shockingly deteriorating offense, I'm hoping Les puts 2 and 2 together.

8. souljaslim1

souljaslim1 Bigg Daddy

The problem is very simple.....GARY CROWTON...

and im sure you all know that..

:geaux::geaux:

LSU!LSU!

:LSU231::LSU231:

:miles::miles::miles:

9. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

Crowton has done this every place has been. Making excuses for him is not going to change anything. The play calling alone is enough to get him fired. They even brought in the QB he wanted and that didn't work out.

The QB position is not the problem, Lee has enough talent to move the ball down the field and make teams pay for crowding the line. However, that is not going to happen until you get a real OC in there.

All you can do is hope the D can keep the score around 20 and hope the offense can muster any offense at all. The players have made some mistakes but that is a given, there has been no real flow to this offense for years now. Get a solid OC in there, and if things work out LSU could significantly improve.

10. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Nothing to be done about it until the offseason, might as well shelve these discussions. Yes, we need a better offense, but no, we don't need a better team. This team is pretty damn good as it is.