Could this be J Vincents last year?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by conradj, Apr 14, 2004.

1. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

With the stable of running backs we have, I just don't see Vincent getting the number of carries to rack up huge numbers ... Saban/Fisher love to rotate backs to have fresh legs in the 4th quarter and later in the year.

Injuries and the QB situation are also unknowns...

2. TigerStagg

TigerStagg Founding Member

I don’t think the NFL will be drooling over JV in the early rounds because he doesn’t have those freakish ‘measureables’ like weighing 225-230, running a low 4.4, etc. He might be a great NFL player but he doesn’t look like a typical first rounder. That could change if he puts up godly numbers or something. But, like someone said, that’ll be near impossible because of our numbers at tailback.

The NFL is so superficial when it comes to the draft. Look at Lavalais, he was unstoppable in college, consensus all-american and isn’t even being mentioned in the top ten linemen. The reason is because you can’t measure football playing ability with a scale or stopwatch. By NFL scout standards, Lavalais is considered small & weak for an interior lineman.

Anyway, I think it is most likely that JV will stick around for 3 more. He could leave after his junior year if he breaks through the national media ceiling.

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I agree they will spread the ball around a lot but you also have to consider that this year he will get to play against the cupckaes on our schedule also and he may just have a couple of games where he gets some big yards if those other temas can stay with us for 3 quarters. Of course if we are leading by 40 at the half he will ride the pine in the second hgalf. The OSU game could be a big game for him as I just don't see us blowing them out and JV maybe getting a lot of carries.

4. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

Its very hard for running backs to go high in the draft. Look at last year's draft. Two in the first round with Willis McGahee going first at pick #23. Larry Johnson went at #27 and the third back was selected at #77 with Musa Smith. I linked an article about this years RB draft and it talks about the lack of RBs in the top 10 picks.
    NFL Draft

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

It's hard for second rate RB's to go early in the draft but high quality RB's are usually drafted very high. The names McGahee and Johnson tell the story here, not high quality at all. There are plenty of teams looking for a real deal running back and will spend an early first round pick to get him if there is a high quality player available. :geaux: :lsug: :champs:

6. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

sorry but mcGahee was going to be the top pick had he not gotten hurt. also JV runs a 4.38 and is weighing in the 235-245 range now. he has put on a lot of wieght this year same as he did before last year. i look for him to continue to gain weight and by the time he leaves i wouldn't be surprised if he weighed in the 245-250 range. his upper body is really really big compared to his lower body and i wouldn't be surprised if he could pack on another 10 pounds in the next 2-3 years.

7. TigerStagg

TigerStagg Founding Member

What?! The legend grows

JV is 5’10 215 (probably lighter) with a high 4.4 forty on turf in a tailwind if he’s lucky.

You’re saying he’s Christian Okoye beating Devery Henderson in the 40.

The guy’s a top notch player but come on. I think you are overestimating his size & speed just a little.

8. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

alright the 4.38 40 was just a quote from another site that had rb's listed i don't remember the site now, i'll give you the benifit of the doubt on that one, but i saw justin last night at bogie's with Clayton and a couple other and i can tell you right now he is weighing in the 230 range. that is a fact.

9. BB

BB Founding Member

I saw him very recently as well and he definitely looks bigger - 235 - maybe not, but he looks bigger to me without question...

10. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

he is bigger much bigger