Could Will Muschamp be our next DC? (unconfirmed rumor)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by max, Jan 22, 2005.

1. stamant79

stamant79 Founding Member

Not only LSU but all the other top programs in the country win with D. This is his most important coaching position and one he should take his time and fill with the best person for the job.

2. Veritas

Veritas Founding Member

Did Muschamp leave thinking he was going to be the DC?

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

No, he thought he would be a position coach. Now that may not even be the case.

4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

As much as I like the young up and coming Muschamp he was just a defensive assistant at LSU, everyone knows Saban was the DC. It is hard to believe with his limited experience even at the college level that he thought he would be the DC at Miami. George Edwards, Mel Phillips and Bob Sanders all have pedigree's that blow Muschamps out of the water and Saban still has an open defensive slot to fill. Dan Quinn has been named the DL coach Phillips secondary and Sanders LB which leaves no high profile spots for Muschamp at his position in the pecking order. Edwards will probably end up as the DC and leave Muschamp with some job like holding Sabans head set wires on the sideline.

5. Veritas

Veritas Founding Member

Even if he didn't "run" the defense, if he was hired the players wouldn't have to learn a new system. I have faith that WM would be able to run the defense. He has learned from the best.

6. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

7. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

I believe WM had more to do with calling the defensive then he has been getting credit for. Under Saban WM has studied film and made game plans. I would like to we WM get this position.

8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I think Muschamp is a young bright up and comer that has a long way to go before he is a finished product. If he was such a great coach right now Saban would have given him a meaningful job on his staff because after all no one knows his abilities better than Saban. He may one day be a great DC but he has no experience without Saban holding his hand so is unproven IMO. With Miles being an offensive minded coach and the DC likely to have near full control Muschamp would be a gamble no matter how we (me included) liked his defense under Saban. If you think Muschamp was calling the shots under a control freak and defensive mastermind like Saban you have not been paying close attention. I would like to see what he could do out from under Sabans wing but George Edwards would have been a much better choice too bad we missed out on him.

9. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

That is exactly why I said UNDER SABAN. We need to get the best available and also the least amount of confusion. But hey this is what we are paying Miles for.

Also if Saban is such a control freak that he gets credit for why did he not stop Jimbo Fisher from telling Matt Mauck to run Backwards in the Sugar Bowl and make him run Justin Vincent to kill the clock. That is what Saban wanted not the Matt Mauck running Backwards thing. That's at least what he said in his book.

But none of it really matters cause none of us on this forum really know but we all have opinions. All I know is that if people could call for JF to be head coach last year I can support a WM staying DC. JMO

10. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

that is exactly the same way that i feel. we will be better off if all of our players dont have to take a year to adjust to a totally new scheme. i feel the same way about jimbo. also, WM has SEC experience. IMO, nothing can take the place of that. if we had someone come in from outside the SEC, there would be 3 transitions to be made: the players to the system, the coach to the SEC, and the coach to the intenstity of tiger stadium.