Could Will Muschamp be our next DC? (unconfirmed rumor)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by max, Jan 22, 2005.

1. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Travis Daniels said it in the media...and the players know it...Muschamp called the PLAYS on defense...he studied the system and even had coordinator experience at Valdosta State...It's a far cry from coordinating at LSU, but he did particpate in game strategy, gameplan development, and most importantly, CALLED ALL OF THE PLAYS...

If you disagree, then I'd ask you to explain it to Travis Daniels...I didn't realize that you were closer to the inner workings of the program than he was...and Daniels said it in the media after the '03 Georgia game that Muschamp calls all the plays in the game...and that he would take all the heat if they got burned on all the blitzes...

STRAIGHT UP...

2. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

Initially, I would've thought that Saban ran the defense, came up with the gameplans etc, b/c of his defense experience. If this is the case I would rather someone with true DC experience be at LSU, b/c in reality Muschamp would have that real experience of being in complete control of the defense.

But if what TE just said is true, I would feel much better about a Muschamp rehire. It is a matter of how accurate Travis Daniels rhetoric is. So lets say that WM did call all the plays but was he the man behind the gameplan and scheming? This might be a part of the job that TD didn't see. He might not really know who came up with the game plan, but I would think he knew that WM called the plays.

I think this whole DC thing is more dramatic than the RP deal.

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Typical ********* TE post!!!!!! :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: I never said I was close to the program in any way just like you are not Mr. armchair QB. If Muschamp was ready for the big time Saban would give him a real job with the Dolphins since Saban knows his ability better than all of us thats just my opinion like I said in my earlier post. I like Muschamp a lot but I think he gets way too much credit for what was clearly Sabans defense. Muschamp may one day reach somewhere near Saban's level but he is definitely not a proven DC at a big time program no matter what your brothers uncle's cousin who washes jock straps for the team says. I can see how you are no longer welcome on other boards. :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis:

One year at Valdosta state wow... I'm suprised Huizinga didn't go after him for the head coaching position instead of Saban.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

After a game in 2002 Saban said he had overuled Will on a call and it ended up being a mistake and that he was not going to do that again. Will made the calls.

If hiring Muschamps woud be a mistake would hiring Romeo be a big mistake for the Browns since everyone knows Bellichick is obviously the real DC?

5. TwistedTiger

No offense to Muschamp, but surely you are not trying to compare the two and their coaching experience.

CRENNEL
    Romeo Crennel is recognized as one of the top assistant coaches in the NFL. Last season, Crennel served as the coordinator of a record-setting defensive unit while celebrating his fourth Super Bowl championship. He was recognized by the Pro Football Writers of America as the NFL’s Assistant Coach of the Year in 2003.

Now in his 24th season in the league, he returned to the New England Patriots when he was named the defensive coordinator on Bill Belichick’s staff on Feb. 1, 2001. The hire reunited the two coaches, who began coaching together as assistants on Ray Perkins’ staff for the New York Giants in 1981. This season will be their 18th campaign together, during which time they have earned four Super Bowl titles, five conference titles and seven division titles. While with the Patriots, Crennel and Belichick have contributed to victories in Super Bowls XXXVI and XXXVIII in addition to New England’s AFC title in 1996.

In 2003, the New England defense was among the best units in NFL history, propelling the Patriots to a 15-game winning streak that culminated with a victory in Super Bowl XXXVIII. New England allowed a league-low and franchise-record 14.9 points per game, while also leading the league with 29 interceptions. The dominance of the defense was evidenced by the team’s three shutouts, equaling the franchise shutout total from the previous 17 seasons combined. The Patriots defense was at its best at Gillette Stadium, where it allowed only 9.6 points per game and surrendered just four touchdowns in the regular season. Over one stretch, the Patriots did not allow a touchdown on 62 consecutive opponents’ possessions in Foxborough, a streak that spanned more than five games worth of clock time. New England was the first team in 65 years to keep its opponent out of the end zone in four consecutive home games in a season. While proving adept at stopping opponents’ offenses, the Patriots defense provided some potent offense of its own, leading the NFL with six defensive touchdowns, including five interceptions returned for scores, tying a team record.

Crennel began his latest tenure with the Patriots in 2001, and in that season - much like it did in 2003 - the defense played an integral role in propelling the Patriots to a season-ending win streak to claim the first Super Bowl title for the franchise. The 2001 Patriots surrendered just 272 points (17.0 ppg), ranking sixth in the league and fourth in franchise history for fewest points allowed. By the end of the season, the defense was in a zone, especially in the "Red Zone." In their last five regular season games, the defense surrendered just seven field goals and one touchdown. The Patriots won all five of those games and qualified for the playoffs for the first time in three years.

The Patriots defense created opportunities for the offense in 2001 by recording 22 interceptions (second in the AFC, sixth in the NFL), 12 more than they had in 2000. Five of those interceptions were returned for touchdowns, setting a single-season franchise record. In the playoffs, Ty Law added another interception, which he returned 47 yards for a touchdown in the 20-17 victory over the St. Louis Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI.

Crennel, who was the defensive line coach for the Patriots from 1993 to 1996, returned to the Patriots sidelines in 2001 after three seasons with the New York Jets (1997-99) and a season as the defensive coordinator with the Cleveland Browns (2000). During his season in Cleveland, the Browns recorded 42 sacks, a 17-sack improvement from the 1999 season.

In his three seasons as the Jets’ defensive line coach, the New York defense was among the stingiest in the NFL, never allowing more than 20 points per game for a season. In 1997, he successfully incorporated a rotation of six new defensive linemen on a unit that allowed just 287 total points (17.9 points per game), second in the AFC and sixth in the NFL. The following season, he added four new linemen to his rotation, and the formula contributed to an improvement from the year before as the defense allowed just 16.6 points per game, finishing second in the league.

His first tenure in New England was a four-year assignment as Bill Parcells’ defensive line coach, beginning in 1993 and ending with an AFC Championship and Super Bowl XXXI appearance in January of 1997. In 1994, the Patriots qualified for the playoffs for the first time in eight years after winning their last seven games of the regular season. The defense allowed just 13.3 points per game during that seven-game stretch. In 1996, the Patriots defense allowed just 12.8 points per game in the final five contests of the regular season to propel the team back to the playoffs. The Patriots were victorious by scores of 28-3 and 20-6, respectively, in two playoff games to claim their second conference title in franchise history and advance to Super Bowl XXXI.

Crennel began his professional coaching career in 1981 as a special assignments/special teams/defensive assistant coach with the New York Giants. He became the special teams coach in 1983 and was assigned the defensive line position in 1990, a position he has since coached for 14 seasons. In 12 seasons in New York (1981-92), the Giants qualified for the playoffs six times, won three division titles and two Super Bowl championships. In his first season in New York, the Giants qualified for the playoffs for the first time since 1963 with a 9-7 record. It was their first winning record in nine seasons.

He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at his alma mater, Western Kentucky, in 1970. He was named defensive line coach the following season in 1971. In 1975, he started a three-year tenure at Texas Tech as a defensive assistant on Parcells’ defensive staff. In 1978, he was named the defensive ends coach at Mississippi. After two seasons at Ole Miss, he accepted a position at Georgia Tech in 1980, where he spent his final season in the collegiate ranks before being hired by the Giants in 1981.

MUSCHAMP
    Will Muschamp, who served as LSU's linebackers coach in 2001, enters his second season as the Tigers' defensive coordinator.

While at Valdosta State, Muschamp helped lead the Blazers to a 10-2 overall mark, a share of the Gulf South Conference title and an appearance in the NCAA Division II playoffs.

Prior to his year at Valdosta State, Muschamp spent the 1999 season coaching the secondary at Eastern Kentucky. Muschamp served as the secondary coach for West Georgia in 1998. From 1995-1997, Muschamp was a graduate assistant coach at Auburn.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

No, I wasn't comparing their experience, I was just stating that if Will gets no credit for being Saban's coordinator than Romeo shouldn't get any for being Bill B's. On the other hand, I say Will was much more invlolved with LSU's defense than many give him credit for and would have no qualms if he was given the DC position at LSU. Anyone that has watched LSU games the past few years should know he was much more involved and responsible for the defense than many believe he was.

7. TwistedTiger

What you seem to be missing is that when Crennel became the Pats DC he was a proven veteran NFL coach, when Muschamp was DC for his short two years he was still in his coaching diapers, big big difference. I'm not saying Muschamp isn't a quality coach or that he is not up to the challenge just that he is very very far from a proven commodity but for some reason some here think he is already on Sabans level as a defensive coach.

8. Abuapu

Abuapu Founding Member

Perhaps the reason that Muschamp was not offered a position job immediately was because he has no prior NFL experience and once he got a year or two under his belt, then he would be promoted. I think that would be a reasonable scernaio.

9. veedo

veedo Founding Member

What are the negatives to hiring Will? The only argument that I have heard is that he doesn't have the experience breaking down film and creating gameplans.

Remember he was at least in the room during film sessions and probably learned a little from Saban; however, I believe that he had a lot more to do with the game plan than he has been given credit. Also, Bill Clay is on the staff, and while you may not like his defensive schemes, he has a lot of experience breaking down film and creating game plans. He could offer a lot of support for Will, but both would have to check ego's at the door and Clay would have to play the role of assistant not try to take the role DC.

Will knows the defensive players more than anyone else on the staff. He would be a valuble asset to this team and I think that he would work great with Miles. I would like to see Will get a shot at the job, he has earned the opportunity to go it alone and prove that he is a good DC.

On a side: If the rumors are true, that Mushcamp was going to be a position coach, and Saban decided to make him an assistant instead, then why should Will stay with Saban. That would be total BS on Nick's part and not at all fair to Will.

10. TheDrunkenTiger

TheDrunkenTiger Founding Member

The fact of the matter is that he was DC under a veritable defesnive master mind in Nick Saban. He was his understudy, as Saban was for Belichick at one point. I would have absolutely no problem with him being our DC again and I see no reason why someone would complain, ofcourse so many Tiger fans seem to have to bitch about something so I cannot say that I am really surprised.