Court rejects challenge to prayer

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Sourdoughman, Jan 14, 2005.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

You are taking Jefferson's quote out of context. It was written to a Congregationist church who had raised concerns that the Baptist faith would become the state religion, and that theirs would be outlawed. The wall Jefferson speaks of is to protect the various denominations from government regulation not to keep religion and government seperate.

Also how are secular humanism and atheism different.

2. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

Actually that was written to Baptists in Danbury, Connecticut, 1802, not congregationalists and the Baptists were being persecuted because they weren't congregationalists. http://fact.trib.com/1st.jeffers.2.html

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

humanism: the doctrine emphasizing a person's capacity for self-realization through reason

atheism : the lack of belief in god.

if the supreme court said atheism was a religion, as you claimed, that would be very stupid, because atheism is not a religion any more than (like i said before) health is a disease.

4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

You are right Gimp. I should have looked it up and not relied on memory.

5. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

Wouldn't a wall to protect congregationalist from Baptist... also apply today as to building a wall to protect Americans from Christian special interest groups ?

6. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

I know what you meant by it, I was just nitpicking because I like to be right.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

i dont understand why more right wing republicans dont agree with me. are we not for small government? are we not in favor of the government minding our business as little as possible? isnt religion a personal matter that varies from individual to individual? how is our society served by the government having even the tiniest involvement in religion?

the problem with republicans is that they do not apply their small government principles nearly broadly enough.

on another note, i often hear terrorists linking us with israel and the jews or calling us christian crusaders and whatnot, to justify their cause of islam vs jews/christians. and while i know that really is not true, i want ito be really really far from true. so all steps toward 100% total secularism are fine by me.

8. rickyd

rickyd Founding Member

Try sticking to one subject at a time imbecile. Your original statements were about the government talking to spirits, (praying) now you turn it into a discussion about religion. (Religion and praying 2 totally different concepts) Try re-reading your own posts about 5 times asswipe, and you will see why it is hard to hold an arguement with you. (you tend to wander)
    The brilliance you believe yourself to posses, is wrapped tightly in your own ignorance.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

sweet i made that guy mad enough to call me an imbecile.

but you never answered, can you in fact understand the difference between advocating the lack of religion in government, and advocating my particular views of religion in government? they arent the same yunno.

10. rickyd

rickyd Founding Member

We were discussing praying, not religion, do you in fact know the difference in the two.
    Everyone has their own opinions, democrats want one thing, republicans want another. You want to push seperation of church and state, others believe the govt. shouldn't try to establish a religion and then force us to join. (Church of England is a good example)
    Please post where the constitution references the seperation of church and state. I know what you would like for it to say, but how about you read it 5 times then tell me what it actually says.