Court rejects challenge to prayer

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Sourdoughman, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Nope, theres no doubt that you like to put words and thoughts in my mouth.
    I NEVER have said this country was founded on the Christian religion.
    I went back and read all my posts here and you should do the same.

1)Your the one thats wrong here not me.
    !st of all you are confusing terms like "under god, In God We Trust" and prayer with
    ones religion like I also stated in the post above that you chose to ignore while picking
    and choosing the rest.
    2)Jeffersons creator could be your or my god, how do you know he's not?
    3) founding principles doesn't have to mean everything to do with government or in any declaration in any document.

4) Almost everyone sworn in from President to anyone in a court room puts their hand
    on the bible and swears to tell the truth.
    ( Notice I said almost everyone please!) Like it or not its part of society along with
    Christmas, the ten commandments in an Alabama court room and the word god in the
    pledge and on monies.

I have no problem with any document or what any founding father says.
    I'm not mixing Christianity with government just pointing out that people like Rex want
    to take away peoples rights to pray or acknowledge god in public such as a president
    putting his hand on the bible and or saying a prayer if he so chooses.
    Don't force your atheism or whatever your beliefs are on other people.

Do you celebrate Christmas? I think you might be a hypocrite if you do and are against
    anything such as Merry Christmas or under god.

I will say it again!!!!
    Your wrong about the money!
    http://www.ustreas.gov/education/fact-sheets/currency/in-god-we-trust.html
    The Congress passed the Act of April 22, 1864. This legislation changed the composition of the one-cent coin and authorized the minting of the two-cent coin. The Mint Director was directed to develop the designs for these coins for final approval of the Secretary. IN GOD WE TRUST first appeared on the 1864 two-cent coin.

Thats over 130 years with no one having a problem with god until the last 20 years or so.

http://www.flagday.org/Pages/StoryofPledge.html
    I will say that I was a bit inaccurate about the pledge because it appears to have god
    put in it in 1954.

I was wrong on this one but don't violate my rights as well, If I want to pray or put my
    hand on a bible in public or private i will.
    Please again, don't confuse me because I happen to be a christian and talk about under god, I won't tread on you so don't tread on me!

I admit I was partially wrong, I thought the word god was in the Declaration of Independence, my bad!
    Rex, relax, not saying god means christianity at you!

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

http://www.archives.gov/exhibit_hall/featured_documents/emancipation_proclamation/transcript.html

http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/readings/gettysburg.txt

I hate to inform you but Abraham Lincolns addresses listed above have "god" in it.
    "that we here highly
    resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this
    nation under God shall have a new birth of freedom, and that
    government of the people, by the people, for the people shall
    not perish from the earth."

These are government documents that go back to 1863, I'm sure you'll want to take
    god out of this text next.
    It might not have been in the founding fathers documents although I thought the word
    god was or has that changed since the 70's or 80's?

It looks like since Abraham Lincoln forward god did become part of our government and
    society like it or not, the bible and swearing people in, etc.
    Even government buildings across the country have god or Ten commandments somewhere in them at sometime.
    Explain away!

Come on, admit it, you atheists are going to want to twist around the words of Ronald
    Reagan and Abraham Lincoln to get rid of god.