CP3 in a Lakers Uniform?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Weisguy

Weisguy Veteran Member

But, are you just delaying the inevitable?

I just looked at New Orleans Hornets attendance last season, and they were terrible- 24th or 25th worst in the league. Even if the Hornets keep Paul but the team still continues to suck, the attendance is still going to be in the dumps and the team will continue to bleed money.

Maybe, New Orleans, especially after Katrina, is one of those cities that can't support multiple professional franchises. And, New Orleans is simply not a NBA town. You guys will support football first with the Saints and LSU tigers. After that, there's not a lot of money left to spread around to other teams like the Hornets.

Its not like an LA, NYC, or Chicago with the population or corporate sponsorship to support professional teams in NBA and NFL and NHL and baseball.

2. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I don't think Katrina has anything to do with it. New Orleans has always had a problem supporting any professional team other than the Saints. As you point out, I just don't think NOLA residents have enough discretionary income or interest in supporting any professional sports team beyond the Saints. Should NOLA lose the Hornets it won't be the first time they have lost an NBA franchise, but it will probably be the last.

3. Weisguy

Weisguy Veteran Member

Awhile back, there was a rumor about Lebron, Wade, Bosh, and CP3 making a pact in China in 08 during the Olympics about joining forces on the same team to win multiple championships. Back then, it seemed so ridiculous that nobody ever took it seriously.

But, today with Lebron, Wade, and Bosh all agreeing to take less money to play together, it doesn't seem so crazy anymore. And, now, Chris Paul has agreed to team up with Lebron James by joining Lebron's marketing group...

Maybe, like those persistent rumors about Jamarcus Russell's drug problems and laziness, there's some truth to a crazy internet rumor.

You're right, NOLA already lost a NBA team and that had nothing to do with Katrina.

But, I was thinking that after Katrina, New Orleans lost a large number of residents which never returned and so New Orleans didn't have the population size to support an NBA team.

Although, ironically, Katrina probably saved NOLA from losing a NBA team too. Otherwise, it made too much sense to have moved the Hornets to OKC, which has been much more supportive of their NBA team.

People are going crazy about the Miami team because they have 2 great players and 1 very good player on the same team. But, in the 80s, it wasn't that unusual to see such depth on teams. The NBA over-expanded, and the game has suffered from it.

The play in the NBA would improve if there was contracton, where some cities lost teams. After today, Cleavland should probably get contracted- they'll never recover after losing Lebron. And, if NOLA loses an NBA team, is that really that bad? You guys already have the Saints and LSU football, and you don't support an NBA team.

4. Weisguy

Weisguy Veteran Member

For you guys down in NOLA, how close was Chris Paul getting traded to the Cavs before Lebron left? That was one of the things I heard as the Cavs were desperate to make that trade because it would have been enough to keep Lebron from leaving.

Even now, Brian Windhorst wrote this about Paul after Lebron got traded:

James earned his right to leave, but can't escape his faults: Hey, Brian! | cleveland.com

5. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

6. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Well, I certainly can't think of anything the Hornets have done in order to put championship caliber players on the floor with CP3. Not sure why people were so critical of Lebron either. Similar situation there in Cleveland.

7. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Can't find a link to match what ESPN First Take saying but they also said the Mavs and Blazers are on his wish list as well. Might have been another team as well.

I would say the Knicks are out given they don't really have anything the Hornets would want to trade for.

8. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Well Lebron's team had the best record the past 2 seasons.

9. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

This is why the modern NBA players are so lame. Dudes like Magic and Bird and Jordon were willing to be THE DUDE. They didn't need a tailor made situation to win. They made everyone else on the floor better, and won with what was around them.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Oh sweet Jesus, Gimme CP3 and Marcus Thornton for Jason Kidd, Roddy Beubois, and Jet Terry, and a draft pick and lets call it a day. Cuban can even throw cash in.