CP3 in a Lakers Uniform?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Nov 23, 2009.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I saw that article as well, the T-Wolves got set back a decade in that deal, and the writer speculated that the LBJ deal will have a similar impact on the Cavs. Its a 180 degree approach compared to the NFL, where the rules involving player movement seem calculated to ensure that no team ever becomes a dynasty again. The NBA sees it as a good thing to have a small handful of teams dominate the league for years at a time.

2. mctiger

Here ya go:

Who's in the market for CP3? - CBSSports.com

3. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

Just as long as it's a big market team. God forbid another Nets-Spurs final :dis:

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Which is crazy,let basketball be basketball.

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

The Hornets are so strapped by big contracts moving Paul and getting better are pretty much mutually exclusive. If the Magic want CP3and Peja and one send us Bass, a 1, and Half man Half Amazing I would love that.

6. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

The Spurs put together a nice run with quality depth and Tim Duncan. They started that run with an old David Robinson. The Pistons also had some success with no team of superstars.

7. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

It's not hard to fault the guy. Willie Roaf was the best LT in the NFL at that time and you never heard him whine and ask to be traded. There's maturity and class and then there is pitching a fit like a truculent child. I never took CP3 for the latter.

If he wants to leave, fine. He can leave in two years...

8. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Never. That's pretty much the bare minimum.

Of course that's not the scenario we're discussing. The Miami Heat have (or are going to) sign three guys arguably the best at their position in the NBA. CP3 wants to take part in a similar marriage of superstars.

9. mctiger

Apples to oranges. While Roaf was a great player and an asset to the Saints, he was not the identity of the franchise the way CP3 is for the Hornets. A lot has changed vis a vis player/franchise relations in the 15 years since Roaf was a Saint. Now, for a select few athletes, the tail can wag the dog (not saying I think that's a good thing, but facts is facts). I don't know that CP has that kind of clout, but I wouldn't bet against it. So you can handle the "truculent child" by:
    a. catering to him and making some moves to improve the team around him,
    2. making him play out his last 2 years in a state of disgruntlement and then walk away for nothing, or
    d. you can trade him and at least get some value in return.

I hope option "A" can be worked out. 2 is not an option, IMO.

btw, I love the word "truculent" - nice one!

10. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I agree, but who wants to stay on a team not dedicated to winning, this is different from Lebron