Crabbing

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Jul 29, 2014.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I'm sure they have done it enough that few crabs are actually tossed. It seems that after crabs sit for a certain amount of time you would have preppers picking them for use in other dishes.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Picadilly cafeteria would do that, they know how to recycle leftovers better than anybody. But a crab shack might find it labor-intensive and cost-prohibitive.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Its not just crabs and crawfish and things like that that go bad quickly. Restaurants throw away an incredible amount of food. There are a lot of things like soups, red beans, jambalaya, ect that could be given to homeless shelters or something useful

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That's what I would do if I owned a restaurant I know that Sammy's uses crabmeat in other dishes including a delicious cream of crabmeat soup. I don't know if they pick the meat of some of the throwaway crabs or just buy the crabmeat. They would have to buy it anyway when its not crab season.

5. red55

Most of that is already leftovers. Red beans have yesterdays ham, jambalaya has yesterdays chicken, and soups have yesterdays fresh vegetables. Some places do have arrangement with local homeless kitchens to take surplus food, but mostly it must be thrown away. Picadillys makes a good chicken pot pie, but I know it is made when they have enough leftover chicken and vegetables.

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I actually have an aluminum tool used to squeeze the meat out. I used to have a pic. Will check. It's not something you want to bring to a boil cause people will eat more.

It takes most of the meat out in chunks, but not all. You have to boil the crab.

Bayou Tiger likes this.
  7. LSUTiga

Here it is. We first had a 2X4 cut at a 45 then turned around and connected with a hinge. (Hard to explain). Then my dad, who loved aluminum, had this one made.

You clean the crab as you normally would. Boil just long enough to harden meat. Pull off shell, then cut the legs but cut them past the first joint from the body so the meat isn't squished out on the side. Then you wash the crab, break it into halve and put the end where the legs where to the back and pull down on the lever. Squishes it out.

[​IMG]

8. LSUTiga

On the crab cleaner, like I said, it doesn't take it all out but when we were shrimping we would catch so many in our trawl that it didn't matter. We didn't nearly keep half of what we'd catch.

Bayou Tiger likes this.
  9. red55

Works kind of like this?

10. LSUTiga

Same principal. You've always preached "keeping it simple" to me so you may like mine better.

I found another pic that shows much better than I probably explained. And like I said, our first one was a 2X4 and worked well also. If only I could still catch enough to need it.

[​IMG]

Bayou Tiger likes this.