Craig Loston, Freak Johnson go undrafted

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, May 10, 2014.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Let me know the next time you pass up a 500K plus job to better market yourself.

2. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

I get your point and like I said in a previous post, I understand if you have obligations. I get your point of not passing up 500k. However, many of these kids have illusions of grandeur. They do not have the maturity or foresight to save money. Many of those kids do not make the NFL a career and blow threw the money in their one or three year NFL career. Im just saying in many circumstances staying could mean much more money by improving their draft stock and a degree to fall back on.

Someone like Freak should have never left unless his family needed the money(which may very well have been the case). I think Ego lucked out being picked in the second but that was a reach picking him there. Hopefully he proves the Bears to be right.

didit and LSUDad like this.
  3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Or they can stay and get hurt and drop further......

cajdav1 likes this.
  4. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I think that Ciron Black would have been drafted in the 1st-3rd round if he had came out after his junior year. He stayed for his Senior year and played admirably through an injury. However, that injury caused him to go undrafted and he is now working in the real world.

If I were in a situation that led me to believe I was going to be a 3rd round pick, I would probably declare early given the injury risk and overall chances of moving up or down the following year. As we all know, the insurance policies are almost impossible to collect on if there is an injury.

cajdav1 and Cajun Sensation like this.
  5. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

You have a good point. In some circumstances that is the case. I do think more times than not though that staying is the better option for most kids who are not going to be high picks.

6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Money is always a good option. If you threw anywhere close to 400K at me when I was 20, I'd be all over it too.

cajdav1 likes this.
  7. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Sometimes these kids have mentally checked out of school or are flunking out of school.

Richdog likes this.
  8. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

True, although not sure if that is part of the discussion. According to some of the recent discussions on the overall farce of "student-athlete", it was suggested that most of the major college football programs will force their recruits to major in General Studies (or something similar), which has minimal value after they graduate. I would definitely be mentally checking out of school if I were forced to have a major that has no value.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

That money isn't guaranteed though, now he doesn't have to be in debt for 20-30 years due to student loans.

Richdog likes this.
  10. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I know a former Tiger that left early, made about 800 G's in 3 years then went back and got his degree in business instead of general studies. That $800,000 put him way ahead of the curve compared to his peers. He now has a decent job making about $50k but has a nice house and 3 doubles paid for.

Many of these guys don't blow through the money in 2 years, we just hear about the ones that do.

furduknfish and ParadiseiNC like this.