Creamy, Chunky, or Jelly Mixed?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bud Lee, Sep 9, 2014.

1. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

My grandmother used to can fig jelly from the fig trees in the back yard when I was a kid. The pepper jelly and muscadine jelly she made was on point too.

To my kids with their untrained palettes, peanut butter is peanut butter. And they wouldn't know good jelly if it bit em in the ass.

Also the mixed shit in the jar just seems really strange to me.

CajunlostinCali likes this.
  2. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Mixed for me but not from the store.....I make all my own jelly(and wine)...mainly Mayhaw, blueberry, and sculpanine.......I do buy the peanut butter though....usually JIF.....put PB in a cup first, then add generous amount of jelly to the top and stir it till its extremely creamy. Put on toasted bread, bread, biscuit, banana, crackers, waffles, pancakes or pretty much anything else I can find to put it on.

red55 likes this.
  3. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

I like to take a sliced banana (sliced so it makes a bunch of banana medallions) spread peanut butter over half of them, drizzle a little honey over the peanut butter, and then cap them off with the rest of the banana slices to make little sammiches.

I do that and stick them in the fridge before a run or work out, great little post workout snack.

4. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Fig jelly is the single best thing that gives me my grandmothers presence as a child. She had a monster tree in her yard and I can never not remember having fig everything as a child. I have a fig tree (LSU figs) now and this year was the first year I made fig everything. I now have 2.5 dozen jars of fig jam, preserves and conserve. I added walnuts to the conserve. I also have a dozen jars of bluexberry jam I made couple weeks ago. A little something I can pass down to my kid from me being a kid. He told me the other day he never wants to see a day where there are no jars of figs in the pantry.

Chunky peanut butter just got that much better.

5. Bud Lee

I will say that "mixed at home" is a underrated method of building a p&j sammich. Normally, I spread one side with peanut butter and then one side with jelly before slapping the two pieces together and enjoying the deliciousness with a tall glass of milk....BUT....my nanny when I was a kid always did the mix method and I forgot how good it was until recently when I have some little p&j sammiches off of a sammich tray at a party. It is well worth the time and the dirty dishes it creates.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I miss the fig tree where I used to rent. Nothing like eating fresh figs. The birds got most of them, of course. They LOVE them some figs.

7. Bud Lee

my grandmother and grandfather would roll over in their respected graves if they could read what I am about to write....but...I'm not a fig man. Never cared for them really.

8. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Creamy PB and now this?

Sinner.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I like to mash the bananas and mix them with peanut butter and honey

Elvis Presley's Fried Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich

Place 2 pieces of white bread in the toaster on a light setting. Heat skillet over medium heat with 2 tablespoons butter. While the bread is toasting, in a small bowl, using a fork mash the ripe banana until it reaches a smooth consistency. Using a knife, take both pieces of the toasted bread and spread 2 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter, topping 1 side with the mashed banana. Place 1 slice of bread on top of the other forming a sandwich. Place sandwich in hot skillet browning each side, flipping with a spatula, about 2 minutes per side. Take out of skillet, slice on a diagonal and serve on a plate.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...r-and-banana-sandwich-recipe.html?oc=linkback

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I never really cared for figs either except for fig newtons. My grammaw would make fig preserves from a fig tree in the yard. She also would pick blackberries and make blackberry preserves and pies