Crock Pot

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by red55, May 19, 2008.

1. CaseyLSU

CaseyLSU Founding Member

These ladies had a pretty good group going (Crock Pot Girls) on Facebook before the Crock Pot corporation shut them down. You can find them on this website now, and they're in the process of transferring recipes, so there aren't a whole lot right now. But once they get everything transferred over there should be plenty to choose from.

The Crockin' Girls

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Any stew is easy. I get a pack of pre-cut beef stew meat at the store, which also offers a similar-sized tray with potatoes, carrots, onions, and celery. I sometimes brown the meat dredged in flour that make a nice roux that sticks to the meat. Then I dump it all in the pot, add some beef broth, garlic, salt, a bay leaf and a dash of Tony's.

I eat it in a bowl without rice, it already has taters in it. Finest kind.

You can make chicken stew as easily and some ham and beans is good. You can do it with vegetables and broth and make soup.

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

bingo. broth is better than water. much more flavor.

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Throw in some red wine and beef stock for a beef burgundy. Get some pearl onions in there too.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

My mom would throw in some english peas near the end of cooking. Good stuff.

6. OkieTigerTK

throwing in fresh sliced mushrooms wouldnt hurt either!

damn. now i'm hungry for a good beef stew.

7. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I used to make all of my own broths, but being in an apartment, storage is a problem. That said, I use chicken base and beef base quite frequently. For the crock pot, I would just toss a spoonful of it in with the water. It is basically concentrated stock, but not as dry as bullion.

8. OkieTigerTK

yeah, boullion seems to be nothing but salt to me. i prefer anything to be low (or lower) salt so i can season for salt instead.

what brand base do you get?

stock (or base) is the way to go on just about anything.

9. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I use Tone's. Sam's carries it. Salt isn't too bad in it. It's just so easy vs storing broth in our tiny refrigerator. I am used to 2 25cf side by sides and an upright freezer. I have about 7% of the freezer space I used to have. On the up side, when we move back into a house in the next few months, I have promised Lisa all new appliances. We sold the old ones as I was told that they don't store well when they are not plugged in.

10. Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania Go easy on me

Being the forever "single guy", I have concluded that you can make anything in a crock pot. It's what I do. (besides grilling)