Croom Signs Contract at MSU

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by marcmc99, Aug 12, 2004.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

actually fans do hire and fire coaches....ask dinardo/curley/archer. oops make that fire not hire. when the seats are empty so is the coaching slot.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The fans didn't fire DiNardo/Curley/Archer. They fired themselves by their lackluster coaching performance.

3. STRIPES

STRIPES Founding Member

I'm sorry but I don't see this "great" coach in Croom....

At best, the jury is WAY out on this guy. In fact, he has already made some serious mistakes at Mississippi State and he hasn't even coached a game there yet.

Here is a newly hired head coach at a school which needed all the recruiting help it could get and when Croom was hired during the heat of recruiting season when he could have and should have taken advantage of the momentum of being the new hire and the 1st black head coach in the SEC, etc. but what did Croom do? He not only decided to stay on at the Packers while they were going into the playoffs, he also didn't even complete his staff at Mississippi State so he could put a staff on the road to recruit full time.

In addition, anyone who claims this guy has all this great experience in the NFL is kidding themselves. Croom was never more than a position coach in the NFL. At least Shula was a coordinator while he was in Tampa.

Consider that Croom has never been a head coach anywhere nor has he even been a coordinator. However, Croom is going to have to match wits with some of the top head coaches in the country, all of which have better facilities and coaching staffs than Croom will have at State. That's a tough chore.

Then, in reality, no matter how good a head coach Croom may be, he is still in Starkville and that is a major obstacle even without having NCAA penalties
    staring him in the face. Croom has his hands full just trying to go 6-5 in Starkville and get to the Indy Bowl. He is several years away from doing that and if he does accomplish anything in Starkville, and that's a big IF, he will haul ass at the 1st opportunity. Croom needs all the luck he can get just
    to be mediocre.

4. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

I agree with STRIPES. I like Croom, but the fact is, he is unproven as a head coach and he took a job that to me, is a no win situation. If Croom was a white guy,(besides Shula) the average CFB fan would be asking who the coach is during the middle of the season. :) :) :) :) :)

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I think everyone knew who you were talking about, like I said I don't think Bama will allow the bar to be set nearly as low as has been allowed here in BB.

6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

You are 100% correct!!!! Empty seats don't fire coaches just watch any USC game to see that. However poor coaching like during the years mentioned will get a coach fired and in LSU's case will empty some seats. I never missed a home game during Dinardo's stint but was more than ready to see him go.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

7. tigerdawgs

tigerdawgs Freshman

setting the record straight

I agree about building a good team in Starkville, it ain't easy. But your knowledge of Croom is lacking. He was the offensive coor. for 4 years at Detroit before going to GB. In those 4 years, they made the playoffs twice and barely missed in 2000. He has experience on both sides of the ball. If he makes any bowls, he'll be able to stay as long as he wants. Expectations are not as high at MSU as BR or most of the other SEC schools.