Crowd on the sideline ?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TomyDingo, Nov 11, 2002.

1. WF TIGER

WF TIGER Founding Member

You are taking your life in hands going out there, I saw several people get hurt, one seriously when the goal post came down at tiger stadium before. Stay in the stands and let the 18-21 year old students do it if they want to. You can see much better from your seats than down on the field. Look at Kentucky, most of those idiots didn't even know we scored.

2. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

I can already see.....

I can already see us going on the field if we can pull off a win saturday...our student section is already a little bit crazy, and I know most of us older adults don't do it but I have seen a some out there, I say the students can storm the field If they want to, but if they do, I hope they do it in a SAFE and CLASSY way, and not be on the field with 2 seconds left....its good to be excited with your team in a big game, but you just CAN'T get carried away with it, are as proven last week will bite you on the A$$

3. will0945

will0945 Freshman

If LSU's football program was where UK's was and now is, then thier fans would be pretty eager to get the goalposts too.......

4. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. We all remember the goalposts coming down in 2000...twice! Off the heels of a 3-8 season, its easy to let emotions take control.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Yeah, but we WON those games.

6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Ouch!;)

7. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I have no problem with the KY students being on the side of the field. There is no way to expect 25 marshalls (or however many there are) to be able to stop 1000s of students from getting on the sidelines. The only thing they can do is try to keep everyone safe and make sure there aren't any fights.

I'm a student and I was on the field at the end of the LSU-Tennessee game in 2000. I can remember the one of the referees turning around before UT's 4th down in overtime and saying, "Don't run me over when yall win." The next play was a pass to that corner that has contact between the reciever and defender and there was absolutely no way that the ref that talked to us was going to call a penalty. He was more concerned with getting out of the way. If we had lost that game we would've looked as dumb as the Kentucky students. Luckily we won. :D

8. PaulP

PaulP Founding Member

Thank you Sabanfan. We did win those games. What we did'nt do is surround the entire field with time left on the clock. I am not blaming UK for being so excited, but it seemed a little out of control to have a thousand or so people standing around the field waiting to win. If that win would have been so big for UK why was security so ill-prepared?

9. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

I don't know who you are talking about when you say "we", but while I was at LSU . . . twice the student section spilled out to the sidelines with time left on the clock (and thankfully we won those games), and since I have graduated I saw that Tenn game where students lined the endzone during the overtime. Sometimes it is difficult to hold all those emotions down, and like someone said earlier, if you were near the field then you had to move onto the field to prevent being run over. I don't think it makes the fans look bad, from any school. What does look bad, is tearing the post down before the game is over and getting all ready to gloat on the field only to have your team lose on a hail mary pass. One of the things that makes college football special is that in times of great emotion the fans, students, and team come together and feel like one unit. If that means fans lining the field (beyond the yellow dotted line), then that is fine. Who cares anyway? Without that kind of the thing, the Cal/Stanford ending is not as crazy (the band) or other games where fans were so excited they lined the field. I remember one game against Ark in Tiger Stadium, people were throwing small auto parts onto the field (hoping to get into the Carquest Bowl). I guess that makes LSU fans bad foolish people with no self control, and the LSU secruity unprepared and clueless. Last I heard, college football was still fun. LSU's victory is even more special with those fans running on the field, since it will create tons of memories and great stories to pass down.