Crowton > genius < points per game average

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDieHard, Nov 15, 2009.

1. LSUpathdoc

LSUpathdoc Trust me, I'm a Doctor

Help me out here guys. I know JJ and JL are Soph. What is Garrett and what is McCartney? According to Dandy Don:

No. 09 Jordan Jefferson SO
    No. 12 Jarrett Lee SO
    No. 10 Russell Sheppard FR
    No. 14 Chris Garrett FR
    No. 17 T. C. McCartney RSFR

However according to lsusports.net

No. 09 Jordan Jefferson SO
    No. 12 Jarrett Lee SO
    No. 10 Russell Sheppard FR
    No. 14 Chris Garrett FR
    No. 17 T. C. McCartney SO

My question is, is Garrett red shirted or not? Also is McCartney a RSFR or SO? Sorry for the stupid question ahead of time.

Thanks guys :tigerhead

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

First of all, Russell Shepard is hardly a stud. This isn't high school anymore. You people need to move past that. Both Shepard and Garrett are not mentally ready to play QB in the SEC. This continued method of "let's start throwing QBs in there until one of them plays like Rohan" for QB selection is madness. It takes time to develop a QB and everydamnoneofyou needs to get past that. Jefferson is doing phenomenally. I didn't think it possible for Lee to regress, but he sure as hell didn't look improved.

Second, all the talent is the world doesn't mean **** when your SEC O-Line gets dominated by a WAC D-Line.

Third, Crowton/Miles needs to stop trying to please everyone. If we're going to let our QB develop, we need to run the ball. If our O-Line can't block a WAC D-Line, then we need to put Jefferson in shotgun and go four-wide. We don't need to run the option on first-down, I-formation between the tackles on second-down and four wide on third down because that leads to a lot of punting on fourth-down.

Developing talent doesn't mean Freshman and Sophomores playing at a high level. It means developing Freshman and Sophomores so they play at a high level as Juniors and Seniors. With Jefferson as a Junior next year, I think that the natural order of QB development will finally be aligned right. I just hope that the coaches don't put all of their eggs in the same QB-basket again.

2 people like this.
  3. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Q

Lee was a highly recruited QB coming out of high school, and all LSU fans were thrilled when he committed to play for the Tigers. It is just that there is a huge difference between high school and college, and not all recruits make the grade. But Miles also recruited Jefferson who seems he will make the grade just fine.

4. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

predictable = bad Offensive coordinating.

5. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

During the 2007 season, I recall during at least one (maybe more) of the CBS games Danielson talking about our running game and how the different personnel fit into the scheme. I don't remember the specifics; he ran down the list of our RB's and they were listed via a graphic (Hester, Scott, Williams, Murphy) and essentially Crowton explained to Danielson how each was to be used. One was short yardage, one was this, one was that, etc...

In retrospect, it really does mirror what the playcalling has become. Very predictable and vanilla. Certainly helps to explain what GC will call in a particular situation, and there's no deviation from this very predictable playcalling. It reminds me of what the corporate world refers to as not thinking outside of the box...

We have a lot of talent at the skill positions and it's not being properly used.

:geauxtige

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Garrett is redshirted. McCartney is a sophomore I believe and he was taking snaps as the backup QB in pre-game warm-ups. Athletic-looking, nice pass, but not too mobile, I think.

7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

McCartney is here as a favor because he is looking to get into coaching. He will never be the QB at LSU. Garrett has real potential.

8. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I agree.

When you're limited by your talent, you become very predictable. The O-Line needs to improve and dictate the pace of the game. The offense is very successful when the QB isn't running for his life under the duress of a three-man rush.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

McCartney is a walk-on who usually runs the scout squad. He being the backup last Saturday tells you something about where LSU would be without Lee right now. Top teams have to be deep at quarterback, just like every other position. Quarterbacks get hurt frequently.

10. LSUpathdoc

LSUpathdoc Trust me, I'm a Doctor

Thanks for clearing that up for me Red. So I guess that means we should be looking for more than one QB for this upcoming recruiting class. I know we already have a commentment from Zach Lee. (I have to admit I don't really know any thing about the kid).