Crowton to ULL possible

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Celtic Tiger, Nov 30, 2010.

1. lsuforever

lsuforever Founding Member

2. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Believe it or not, a lot of the UL athletic woes go back to the mid-70s when the basketball team received the death penatly (2 years). This is when Ray Authement came in an cut the nuts off of the entire athletic department. He was around until 2008. The current President Joe Savoie is much more supportive of athletics. Funding has increased significantly since he came on, but they just aren't there yet... Especially in regards to the RCAF (which wasn't allowed to be created until 2007).

3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I wish good luck to fall on USL...not coach Ogre.

4. Herb

Herb Founding Member

Isn't that what people in the North put in their salad because they have no seafood?

5. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

My experience was that Dr. Authement was supportive of the program while Stokely was there (at least form 87-92). When they brought in Baldwin they destroyed the football program. Whether it was Dr. Ray or the boosters, they cut everything at the program. They even took away the Sunday coaches show. Some claim this was based on racism.

Since Bustle has arrived the facilities have improved, the talent has improved and the graduation rates have improved (also financial support from the boosters has returned). But the program is still a shell of what it was in the late 80s and early 90s.

I claimed yesterday that there is no way USL offers coach o. But it appears that some of the "powers that be" want to go after him. I think that is a huge mistake. His track record the last 5 years has been horrible in regards to honesty, integrity and loyalty.

With all the talent in LA and East Texas there is no reason USL can not be a solid program. LSU can only take 20 something kids a year. It would be great for the state to have a couple solid (competitive) program choices for our in state talent.
    Again just my $.02

6. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Sounds like a perfect fit for USL.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

They (fans and boosters) need to focus on becoming competitive in the Sunbelt and quit trying to be another LSU, e.g., national recognition, respect, etc.

8. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Crowton doesn't really recruit I'm told which I found odd because he is an extremely likable guy with a lot of energy. IIRC, Gonzales (who some feel is the OC-in-waiting) has been recruiting ZM.

9. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

I agree and I think most rational USL fans agree. Rumor is Joe DeForest from OSU is interviewing. That would be a good get for the Cajuns.