Crowton v. Fisher

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerBill661, Sep 26, 2007.

1. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

So nobody thinks Crowton is winning with Fisher's players??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

We really don't have a big enough sample to make a decision but I am very encouraged by the early returns. At least in my mind this year :lsup: was supposed to rely on defense to get through and have the offense not screw up so bad to keep us from winning. But starting with the 2d half of MooU the offense has just been clicking. Much of the credit for that has to go to Crowton. Seeing how the offense performed last week v. USCe on a sloppy track with ED out and MF obviously injured was beautiful.

Things look good.

:geauxtige :geauxtige :geauxtige

2. G-LSU

G-LSU Founding Member

Just to stir up the pot a little.....

Weren't we all complaining that our offense looked way to vanilla against MSU in Week 1????

I like what I have seen out of the Crowton Offense. Personally, I think the 2 OC's had a different styles..... With Jimbo, when he found somthing that worked, he would stick to that and challenge a Defense to stop us..... as to where Crowton's Offense seems to be....try and figure out what we are going to do/line up.

Bottom line, I am happy with Crowton's Offense. I will be happier when we get our WELL DESERVED National Championship at the end of THIS Seanson!

:geauxtige :geauxtige
    :geauxtige :geauxtige

1 person likes this.
  3. khounba

khounba Founding Member

I don't remember complaining. I remember people saying it was vanilla by design for that game so we didn't show anything for Va Tech. Looks like they were right.

4. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i forgot my other point. that is, we'll really see how good he is when the game is on the line in the 4th qtr--those games (if there are any) will determine how he is graded.

5. Speedy G

Speedy G Founding Member

Jimbo's offense too often tended to make things look difficult. I was never impressed with his ability to create space for players and make things easy on his offense. Everything seemed to take place in traffic.

I think it is too early for me to judge Crowton. The OC's job is pretty easy when you rush the heck out of the ball the way LSU has. I was ready to kick Pellini to the curb after the Tennessee loss, but now I pretty much worship the guy and cross my fingers that he never leaves LSU.

6. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

Let me get this out of the way: I love Jimbo. He was loyal to our school for the better part of a decade and did some very good things here. I have no animosity AT ALL towards him and his decision to go to FSU. I understand why he did it, and I'm completely fine with it.

That being said, though Jimbo's offense was great for winning the SEC opposite a defense like ours, it didn't take too many risks. With the new Wantango offense that Crowton has installed, we have the ability to take more risks in order to win games- every game. And with that comes a national title.

1 person likes this.
  7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Crowton's playcalling & general philosophy is much, much better than Jimbo's. I did not like how strictly Jimbo adhered to his "balance" philosophy. It didn't take enough of what the defense gave us & it wasn't aggressive. When our offense won a game under Jimbo, it always felt like it was more due to the players than the play calling.

That being said, Jimbo did a good job of developing his players. He had 5 receivers drafted (Bowe, Davis, Skyler Green, Brazille, & Clayton), including 3 in the first round. I may even be leaving a guy or 2 off that list.

So far we've yet to see that Crowton can develop his players. Our young receivers have not looked fine tuned & are surviving on their athletic ability to this point. Flynn & Perrilloux look good, but it's impossible to tell how much of that is Crowton & how much is Jimbo (although Flynn has said that he's learned a lot since Crowton got here).

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Both are top Offensive Coordinators. Crowton has the edge in experience and innovation, but Jimbo has the titles to prove he knows his business. Crowton is more audacious when can win for you . . . and it can lose for you. Crowton hasn't faced the hostility the armchair coaches after a loss at LSU, yet. His crown may tarnish a bit in time.

All in all, Les upgraded the OC position by making the change and Jimbo bettered his chances for a head coach job by going to FSU.

9. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

Fisher is a good fundamentals coach (would venture to say one of the best). FSU and many other teams need that more then need trick plays. People called Fishers play calling boring but it was more safe. It was to win and build a confidence in his team that would take them to the next level.

I believe Fisher could also coach at that next level but I think he likes taking something over and building it. Either way I will alwasy be grateful for him at LSU.

That being said Crowton had me at hello! I thik our offense only gets more exciting and fun from here!

10. Mike in Memphis

Mike in Memphis Old Tiger

I like Jimbo and Crowton. I think both were/are good for LSU but at different times. I really like what I see from Crowton’s offense. But part of that is a result of the defense being so great. I still like the football I grew up with – defense wins, etc. For me and other older fans like me, a more open offense makes for exciting games as long as I feel confident our defense can hold if there is an interception or fumble. If our defense is not as good and we are winning games by scores like 45 – 42, and 38 – 34 – I don’t think I would enjoy it as much.

I always thought CLM retained Jimbo to (i) have some continuity from one coaching staff to another with the players and (ii) recruiting. Jimbo was a high profile holdover from the previous staff and I am not sure his offensive philosophy and CLM’s were completely compatible. However, they are both pros and I think they worked together pretty well to continue LSU’s success.

All that said – I think the team’s offensive success this year is a result of at least (i) Crowton brings a fresh look and new ideas to LSU and (ii) CLM is very comfortable with his OC - resulting in more aggressive offensive game plans. Finally, the game at the Division I (Bowl Championship Division or whatever) has changed a lot since Jimbo was coaching QB’s at Auburn and even when he was in Cincinnati, and even though Jimbo as adapted, I am not sure Jimbo is the innovator Crowton is capable of being. I think we will know more after we get a full season to evaluate.
    :eek:ldskule: :eek:ldskule: :eek:ldskule: :eek:ldskule:

1 person likes this.