Crying over lost recruits

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tiger420, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

Well, they're always in the last place you look.

Seriously, the only way you 'lose' a recruit is getting a verbal, then watch him sign with someone else.

When I was 18, I could not wait to leave home and get a change of scenery - so I'm not going to shit my pants if a Louisiana boy decides the same.

2. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

As logical as that sounds, and I agree with you by the way, I wonder if the NFL really cares how smart a guy is versus how big he is, how well he can catch, or how much force he can smash a receiver with? I guess from a coach's perspective, having a big, healthy, corn-fed and talented smart guy would be a dream-come-true though. You would think they would have SOME kind of requirement academically. Stacey you should be the next manager for the Saints :)

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

What's the rate of what the average NFL player makes as compared to the average owner. I would like that ratio compared to what a college education costs compared to what the universities make off of football.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

The NFL and players union agreed to the 3 years out after their graduating high school class because the players association couldn't afford a prolonged court case and the NFL knew they would lose the battle if it went to court.

I agree it is ridiculous as the NFL should be able to adopt their own rules just like a myriad of other professions do.

5. Tiger420

Tiger420 Sell crazy someplace else, all stocked up here.

The NFL is stocked with less than 5% of all college football players. The math then illustrates that even if you get to a college team 95% of you will be doing something other than playing football in your next life. It would be awfully short sighted for any recruit to bank all of his future on a 5% likelihood of success. So, I agree partially with what you are saying in that players are looking for the fit that will allow them to develop their talents to the extent that they would have a chance to play at the next level.

I will bet that 95% of those that banked their lives on the NFL and didn't make it, regret not using their educational opportunities when they had them. So on the other side of the coin, I think that there is a portion of the players coming out of high school who understand that they need to find a University that gives them the educational opportunities they need to be successful in life without strapping on the pads. I will also bet that the number of players considering the educational aspects of the equation is a little larger than you think.

shane0911 likes this.
  6. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I bet 1/4 my middle schooler males (mostly with abysmal grades) truly believe that they are gonna be in the NBA or NFL. Truly.

One kid was so addled that he did not play middle or school or high school football because he was "saving himself" for college scholarship and the pros.

I do not make this up. We have stats that we quote, coaches come in and talk, but SOOOOOOO many of these kids really believe they are NFL bound and do not have to study or do anything.

When I was a kid, we wanted to be a cowboy (Gene, Roy, Lone Ranger) or something that was cool on tv. With today's tv and espn etc, they want to be a "pro".

7. Tiger420

Tiger420 Sell crazy someplace else, all stocked up here.

Oh Stacey O! You're trying to be socially responsible here and that unfortunately just doesn't fit with the goals of the NFL which is to make as much money as possible on the backs of the players they bring to the league. They can talk a good game and try to force players to do the right things and wait, but the bottom line is the lure of making millions off of Johnny Football's talents is much stronger than what they can make off his smarts. So from a business perspective you have to understand that the NFL's employment requirements are mostly physical unless you are in a position like QB. As long as you have the physical gifts, can see plays develop and react to what's happening on the field better than the guy across from you .... you're hired! So, the college experience is about developing the physical talents and gaining game experience more than it is about bringing your MBA.

All that said, I think professional sports is stocked with enough high caliber talent and enough demand to fill the seats that they could take a socially responsible position and require athletes to have a degree before being eligible for the next level. This way when they get injured or complete their 7 year tenure in the league and retire they will have something to fall back on and continue to be successful. I never heard anyone say they regretted getting their degree. That's all hard to do when an analyst is telling you that you are risking millions of dollars if you don't come out now.

Oh the mighty dollar.

8. BP

BP Founding Member

I remember a story on, I think 60 minutes. Second string seniors, who had never been first string, just knew that they were NFL bound. I realize this happens every once in a while, but the chances are probably as good as winning he lottery.

LSUDad likes this.
  9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Well actually much worse, at least they have a chance to win the lottery if they buy a ticket.

LSUDad likes this.
  10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Many things come into play here. First, the number of players that do make it into the pros, so few. Then you look at the ones who retire and do well after, a very small %. Then you have the ones who play in the NFL, retire and go broke years later. Then you have the ones who never make it into the pros but get the education and move on from there. Then the ones who leave college with nothing to show. Then lastly, the ones who leave your state, an come back looking for a job, shun the state school. People remember those most.

These are most cases, there are others

TigerTap and cajdav1 like this.