CSTV: Oklahoma State coach should have success in Baton Rouge.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by max, Jan 3, 2005.

1. max

max Founding Member

Curtis: Les is More

Oklahoma State coach should have success in Baton Rouge.

Jan. 3, 2005

By Brian Curtis

Senior Editor, CSTV

I know that Les Miles is not a sexy name for LSU. And I know that his team did not look great against Ohio State in the Alamo Bowl. But I also know that he was the best candidate who was available and willing.

He's beaten Oklahoma twice, he's gone to three straight bowl games, he's coached in the NFL and at Michigan and Colorado, and he has a degree in economics from Michigan. He's a great recruiter and has a solid staff. Yes, the expectations in Baton Rouge are high, but keep in mind that not too many people were thrilled when Nick Saban was hired, as he wasn't a sexy name either -- and look what he did.

There were a lot of major college job openings in the last few months -- Notre Dame, Florida, LSU, Stanford, Washington, South Carolina -- among others, and simply not that many elite coaches have been available. Demand outweighs supply. Miles will win at LSU if he can keep the state players home like Saban did. Give him time.

Brian Curtis serves as an analyst and insider in all of CSTV's football programming and is CSTV's Senior Editor. [email protected]

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Give him time...? Not likely.

3. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

You mean the defense they've played the last 3 years?

The first year of the Nick Saban Era had the defense play worse statistically than the '99 version, which was the worst in the modern history of LSU Football. In '01, we were better, but we were still suspect.

In '02, we were #1 for the 1st half of the year, up until we lost DJ "Dosure" Damien James...We ended up Top 5...

In '03, you know the story...#1 with a bullet.

This year, '04, was a mixed bag...We'll end up with a Top 5 defense, but it was shown to be asleep at the wheel and susceptible to the big play at times.

The '00 and '01 seasons were not good defensive stories for LSU...You're allowing the last three to bleed into your memories...

We gave up 31 and 38 points at home in '00, just off the top of my head...

4. ramah

ramah Founding Member

No excuses when Clay comes to Tiger Town

Saban didn't inherit a Top 3 Defense from Dinardo

That Top 5 recruiting class LSU was headed to this year (despite 18-20 signings) ... WATCH WHERE THAT ENDS UP :shock:

Skipper & the boys blew it ... this'll make you happy, Tiny Tool ... my last post of 2005 ... Have a nice wallow in mediocrity ... Wake me up when LSU gets a real coach :lol:

5. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Sure, I'll give him time before he has to win.

How about...until this September? :wink:

6. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

Les Miles has time....the 2005 season. I'll reserve judgement until then. :geaux:

7. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

Can this actually be true, Ramah's last post for 2005. I guess there is a huge glass exhibit in Murano that he must attend.

8. Carface

Carface What the...?

The guy has been our coach for one day and already I'm annoyed by the "Les is More" schtick. Oklahoma State must've been ready for him to go because of that :wink:

Anywho, WBRZ reporting that Jerry Jones and Troy Aikman both approve of him as the LSU head coach... someone tell me why they are commenting on this.

9. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

He worked for Jones as a position coach while Aikman was there.

10. uscpuke

uscpuke Founding Member

For what it's worth, David Lafluer said he was the best coach he has ever played for (to go along with the Jones and Aikmen comments)