Curious about LSU football history

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by drewaugrad, Jul 11, 2002.

1. drewaugrad

drewaugrad Freshman

Hey LSU fans,
    I'm first and foremost an Auburn graduate. War Eagle! However, I do have a lot of respect for LSU and it's football tradition. I just registered today and will be asking many questions about LSU football history. The first question that i would like to ask is this: Who was LSU's coach in the early 1980's who lead the tigers to a thrilling win over Alabama and Bear Bryant in Birmingham, Al? He was the same coach who lead the Tigers to an Orange Bowl berth against Nebraska in either 83 or 84. That was the year that his Tigers beat FSU in Baton Rouge 56-21 I think. Well, what happened to this coach? Was he fired, resigned, or accepted a coaching position elsewhere? What is he doing now? Thanks Tiger fans, i hope that you don't mind an Auburn fan being a part of this forum.
    Drew

2. drewaugrad

drewaugrad Freshman

hey saint,
    thank you so much for welcoming me to this forum. i love talking sports with other college football fans and graduates alike. on the subject of the relations between auburn and lsu fans, well, things will get better. trust me on this one. i remember during the 1993 season, i was a 14 year old in attendence at the auburn-new mexico state game. that was the same day that lsu beat alabama in legion field and ended the tide's two year unbeaten streak. after the pa guy announced the score, every auburn fan in that stadium was jubilant. we all started chanting, LSU,LSU, LSU! i remember that event like it was yesterday. trust me, saint, auburn fans will always revere lsu for ending the tide's unbeaten streak. we don't hate lsu and never will. there will probably be a few isolated incidents of hostility in auburn next year, but hey, that happens at every college football game, right? the only thing that lsu fans must realize is that we are not a reflection of tommy tubberville and we strongly condemned the actions of the players and coaches in 99 and last year in baton rouge. we look forward to welcoming the lsu family and football team to the loveliest village on the plains. lsu fans should enjoy themselves that weekend, the atmosphere surrounding auburn university is great. i just hope that the lsu fans don't enjoy themselves at the game!lol!
    Drew

3. StLee

StLee Founding Member

I believe the coach was Jerry Stovall (1980-83?). Arnsparger was a definite improvement, but he only coached three seasons at LSU before moving on to San Diego, where he is STILL a part of the staff!

4. tail-gator

tail-gator Founding Member

Jerry Stovall coached in the early 80's, Bill Arnsparger came in '84 and then went to Florida as their AD.

but the year you are talking about is 82

1982: 8-3-1

Coach: Jerry Stovall

W/L
    Date
    PF
    Opponent
    PA

W
    09-18-1982
    Oregon St.
    Baton Rouge, LA

W
    09-25-1982
    Rice (TX)
    Baton Rouge, LA

W
    10-02-1982
    Florida
    Gainesville, FL

T
    10-09-1982
    Tennessee
    Baton Rouge, LA

W
    10-16-1982
    Kentucky
    Lexington, KY

W
    10-23-1982
    South Carolina
    Baton Rouge, LA

W
    10-30-1982
    Mississippi
    Baton Rouge, LA

W
    11-06-1982
    Alabama
    Birmingham, AL

L
    11-13-1982
    Mississippi St.
    Starkville, MS

W
    11-20-1982
    Florida St.
    Baton Rouge, LA

L
    11-27-1982
    Tulane (LA)
    Baton Rouge, LA

L
    01-01-1983
    Nebraska
    Orange Bowl

Season Totals

this is a good link for football history. http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia_conf_index.php

welcome

5. Saba

Saba Freshman

LSU History

Jerry Stovall was the coach. The FSU game was 55-21, not 56-21. I was at that game. I was a senior at LSU at the time. It was sooo foggy it was unreal. I remember after the game, LSU people were throwing oranges onto the field. I was in the student section, of course and my friends and I saw someone throw an orange (it was a really big orange, we always thought it was actually a grapefruit) that hit a cop square in the face. He bent over in shock and pain I guess, but the celebration that night was great. The jubilation ended the next week when we lost to Tulane.