CWS in Omaha (sorry, I can't help it)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MikeDTiger, Jun 18, 2011.

1. MikeDTiger

MikeDTiger Geaux Tigers!!!

It's a great sporting event, I just wish LSU was part of it this year! I'm pretty confident that we'll see something worth talking about, so...

My standard M.O. of providing links :)
    NCAA Bracket: http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/cs/gam...iew=day&timezone=CT&partner=ncaa&startdelay=0
    TV Schedule w/ espn3.com links: College World Series on ESPN Begins Saturday | ESPN MediaZone
    CWS Omaha website: College World Series of Omaha, Inc.
    Omaha World Herald: College World Series - Omaha.com (usually has some very good articles)
    Sirius / XM will have every game as will KOZN: Streamtheworld Live Player - KOZNAM

Making history at TD Ameritrade Park - NCAA.com talks about kicking things off at the new park and has some good links in there too.

First up:
    Game 1: 1 p.m. Vanderbilt vs. North Carolina
    ESPN HD/ESPN3.com/ ESPN Mobile TV
    Mike Patrick, Robin Ventura & Jenn Brown

Game 2: 6 p.m. Texas vs. Florida
    Dave O’Brien, Nomar Garciaparra & Kyle Peterson

Game 1 should be a good one. Go Vandy!

1 person likes this.
  2. MikeDTiger

I don't know if this has ever been posted before, but it's from 10 years ago when LSU didn't make to the CWS. It's kind of fun :)

Le bon temps did not role at the College World Series in Omaha this year as perennial local favorite LSU failed to put in an appearance after being defeated in the Super Regional by down river rival Tulane University. The local economy suffered a double blow with the first time appearance and early disappearance of the revered state University of Nebraska Cornhuskers whose rabid fans bought up tickets like manure at planting time, but otherwise robbed local motels and restaurants of a livelihood by sleeping along the roadside in their pickups, and dining on the luncheon meat and margarine sandwiches and soda pop that they had brought from home.

LSU's absence from the contest also resulted in hefty losses to local grocers and restaurateurs who had stocked up on boudin, Luzianne chicory coffee and Community dark roast coffee, Tabasco sauce, crawfish, tasso, Abita and Dixie beers, Creole cream cheese, New Orleans French bread, filet powder, Creole mustard, red fish, Camelia red beans, rice, satsumas, cayenne pepper, crab boil, Creole tomatoes, Chisesi's ham, bay leaves, head cheese, beignets, blue crabs, shrimp and other Louisiana delights in anticipation of the annual visit by the raucous and fun loving Tiger faithful.

They were not the only businesses to suffer by LSU's absence. Motel, hotels, cabs, massage parlors, dating services, beer and liquor distributors, topless clubs, tattoo parlors, and Emergency Medical Techs also experienced a marked drop in the demand for their services. The pathetically few Tulane followers who attended the games proved no substitute for the absent Tiger fans despite their Louisiana origins.

The Greenies as the Tulane followers are called, adorned themselves with Mardi Gras beads and flung doubloons to the crowd in imitation of the Bayou Bengals, but were contemptuously ignored by the crimson clad hayseeds who jammed the stands. Sadly, their pitifully muted cheers were often drowned out by the hawking of the stadium vendors. "I have no use for these faux-Coonasses," said Roger Morgan, a waiter at a popular watering hole frequented by past Tiger contingents. "The real Coonasses possess a certain je ne sais quoi that is lacking in these Weenie impostors. They just don't have that LSU elan and joie de vivre. It just doesn't seem like the CWS without LSU here, n'est-ce pas."

LSU's absence was noticed in the stands as well. Nebraska fans took all their tickets with them when they were ingloriously ousted from the tournament and thereafter the stands resembled a Billy Ray Cyrus concert. TV ratings also suffered. A prime time game on ESPN drew fewer viewers than a competing rerun of the 1988 thumb wrestling semifinals on ESPN2.

Rosenblatt Stadium Director of Events Chuck Gladstone did not attempt to mask his disappointment at LSU's failure to return to this year's games. "With Skip retiring and everything we just can't be sure when and how often the Tigers will be back. I guess we'll just have to rethink our plans to install bleachers in center field," he said.

Not that the city was completely without Tiger fans. There were a few stragglers remaining from the several hundred who had dashed off to Omaha immediately following LSU's opening game victory over the Greenies in the Super Regional. "Mais, I tell you, Cher, I t'ought we had dat series won, yeah, " said a dazed and despondent Placide Plaisance of Ville Platte, La., as he prepared to return home to his watery, nutria infested habitat.

Ten-year-old Omaha native Scotty Futch typified the disappointment and heartbreak that gripped the city's youth. "I have been a fan of LSU all my life and was seaux mad when they didn't get to geaux to the game. I just kneaux they would have won it again. And my pal here, Jeaux insleaux, feels the same way," said the tearful town tyke.

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i have been to the cws when lsu is there, and when they are not. but even when we are not playing, our fans represent! i was glad i got to go for the first round, and then the finals, the last year at rosenblatt.

we quite often go for a summer vacation. but not this year. i am still disappointed with the decision to move the series to $ellout park. plus, for as many years as omaha has been hosting the cws, they can pull some of the biggest cluster phucks i have ever encountered at a sporting event. i have no faith in them to be able to handle the first year at the new park smoothly. i heard they were going to do all ticket sales through their lottery system, which is the BIGGEST cluster!

i am gonna be interested in hearing how the tailgating situation is from lsu fans that did make the trip.

4. MikeDTiger

That's great that you have gotten to go Omaha and the CWS before, that should be on the bucket list for any sports fan! I think it was a South Carolina paper that was talking about LSU fans this year. I've always thought that was a great tradition to go represent no matter what.

Let us know what you hear about the tailgating and the new stadium...

They interviewed W early into the broadcast. It's pretty cool to have an ex-president who is a baseball fan, and I’m embarrassed that I had no idea that his dad played in the first two College World Series. Anyway I thought it was pretty cool.

UNC had the bases loaded in the 4th, but Vandy was able to hold them to 1 run.

UNC 3 - Vandy 2 in the bottom of the 5th, but UNC is threatening again

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

S-E-C!! S-E-C!!

6. OkieTigerTK

rosenblatt was great. the atmosphere around the stadium could best be described as a "street fair". it was very unique and no matter how disorganized it could be, it still had a magical feel that would make you forget frustrations and draw you back time after time.

i am anxious to hear about the tailgating, because i lost the brochure on the new park i picked up last year. what i read did not sound very tailgate friendly. i just cannot remember the details.

i am afraid that the whole atmosphere is gonna change into a more corporate feel. i will go again and i hope to be pleasantly surprised. but this was driven by $$, nothing more.

7. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

Those dang ticket lotteries are horrible.

8. MikeDTiger

9. MikeDTiger

And the SEC moves on, Florida beats Texas 8-4. An HR was ruled as a double for Florida robbing them of a run, but that wasn't enough to rig it for a Texas win.

Next up for Sunday

Game 3: 1 p.m. California vs. Virginia
    Mike Patrick, Robin Ventura & Jenn Brown

Game 4: 6 p.m. Texas A&M vs. South Carolina
    ESPN2 HD/ESPN3.com/ ESPN Mobile TV
    Dave O’Brien, Nomar Garciaparra & Kyle Peterson

I'm sure most everyone knows about Cal being on deaths door, talk about having your backs to the wall:
    Cal baseball team rewards its supporters with magical season - San Jose Mercury News

"Cal's baseball players didn't have an extra $10 million lying around, so they had to come up with an alternative to repay the donors who helped save the program from elimination.

The Bears are giving their supporters an improbable, storybook season worthy of a bidding war between major motion picture studios.

When alumni, family members and countless others combined to pony up the nearly $10 million necessary to get Cal baseball permanently reinstated after it was dropped because of budgetary reasons, they were just happy the program would continue. But in a case of impeccable timing, the Bears have put together one of the most memorable seasons in the program's 118-year history, one that continues this weekend in the College World Series in Omaha, Neb."

10. OkieTigerTK

yep, the cal program had already been slated for extinction.

in general, i dont care for california teams, but that is a heck of a story!