D Byrd

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CParso, May 11, 2008.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

"A near conviction", that would make him an altar boy in most programs. I was nearly convicted of speeding MANY times, lucky I never got caught. If you knew the specs on that situation you wouldn't even bring it up but it is what is is.

As far as his one reception, Michigan must not recognize WR material cause Ben Wright, another Jr. receiver doesn’t have any receptions. Yet a third, Antonio Bass, only has eight.

In fact, the following soph. receivers don’t have a single reception. James Rogers, Caleb White, Ben Sutton, Jacob Stoll, Ricky Reyes, David Middleton, John Conover.

Or maybe it was because last year Manningham had 72, Arrington 67 (But didn't have ONE his soph season), and Mathews had 39.

I'll put it like this, if he had your IQ or if you had his skills....

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

On that note, I think that situation can play into long term decisions. Dwayne Jarrett left early and IMO one of the reasons was because Booty was no Leinart and Jarrett had little confidence that staying an additional year would have added much to his stats. BUT, DJ didn't do all that well at the combine and has been criticized by NFL teammates for his lack of preparation.

Couldn't agree more. Lots of coaches pair up a QB and their potential top receiver. Sanchez and Damien Williams seem attached at the hip. When a play breaks down, really knowing your receiver can make a big difference.

3. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

When did Mamou get a football team? :shock:

:rofl:

4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Experience tells us that NFL scouts are all about "the measurables," as you call them (and I like that term). That's how scouts can go to the combine, look at a stopwatch, and ignore everything the game films should have been telling them about Ali Highsmith, leading to his going undrafted. Byrd's draft status will be determined by his ability to run (or not to run) sub 4.4 at the combine, regardless of how many catches he has this year. End of story.

5. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

It is a combination. We thought Ali should have been drafted high but no scouts ever came out and said they were predicting him to go in the first round, it is just what blogs thought.

And of course Byrd's stats wont determine his draft status, but his film will. Film is just as valuable as combine numbers. Combine numbers separate the top players, film sorts the rest.

6. Kajun4LSU

Kajun4LSU Founding Member

Byrd would have to have a poor year to drop out of the 1st round. With his speed and size he's a 1st round bet. A poor showing by our a QB's would reflect in his production but would noted by scouts as such.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Production isn't everything, but I do believe that Byrd will have to show better route running ability to go in the first round, and he may not get to show-case that if our QB struggles.

8. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I don't remember anyone predicting Ali to go in the first round, either before or after the combine. I was figuring 3rd or 4th round. He didn't get drafted AT ALL! How do 32 teams scout an All-American linebacker and all decide he's not even worth a 7th round pick? What did everyone say? He didn't run well and looked overweight at the combine.

9. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

This issue has beaten to death and I dont want to really hijack the Byrd thread, bu there are a thousand factors that go into drafting a person. Ali would have been drafted had he been bigger. The only reason blogs and websites thought he would go high was because of his alleged speed, other than that he was not much on a top NFL draft prospect. Ali's speed translates better on film, but so did the speed of other LB's that weren't drafted high...and they were bigger than he was.

10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member