D E F E N S E

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by r_bear42, Sep 20, 2003.

1. r_bear42

r_bear42 Founding Member

Some may think I'm nuts after looking at the stats for the LSU/UGA game but I believe this game to be one of the best defensive schemes I seen in many years. With the exception of the one long pass play in the 4th quarter the Tigers played a great defensive game and didn't let any of the UGA recievers get behind them. The dogs got twice as many yard passing as did the Tigers but the Tigers out rushed them and held the ball longer than UGA. The defense was in UGA's face all night.

Don't know what happened in the last half of the second quarter but the Tigers offense awoke and seemed to began to control the line of scrimmage. The coaching staff did a super job and cudo's to the fans also. I'm not sure it has ever been that loud in Tiger Stadium and I've been going to LSU games since the late 50's. Back then as a freshman your hair was required to be cut off and you wore pajamas and stood up the entire game. Congradualtions Tigers; what a game! Isn't it great to be a Tiger fan? :geaux:

2. LStUdent

LStUdent Founding Member

We aren't required to stand the whole game per say, but any student with any self respect stands the whole time. I totaled about 7 hours straight of standing today waiting to get into and in the game. Needless to say I'm walking around like a 100 year old man right now.

3. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

On paper the defense did not dominate but seeing them play and bend but not really break was great. As soon as UGA got down inside the 30 it was lights out.

4. roygu

roygu Founding Member

The dropped passes on third down and the center snap before Mauck was ready kept us in a hole the entire first half. By the end of the season, playing in big games will be the norm for these guys. I thought Mauck staid calm and poised even when the offense was struggling. Did you notice he flipped the ball about forty yards, with a man in his face, on the TD pass to Green. Maucks arm strength is underrated.

5. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

That was not the greatest display of defense I ever saw, but it was probably the most unique. I don't think I have ever seen the defense line up like they were at a track meet on EVERY play. Every down was a race to the QB. They got burned a few times, but the maddening rush took it's toll on UGA. To run that scheme Saban had to have sick team speed and complete confidence in his corners to stick them on an island all day. He also had to have confidence in his offense to answer if UGA should score.