D gonna cost us a few games I think

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUpride123, Sep 21, 2019.

1. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

In fairness, once Aranda finally set them up for success (the second half), they played well. D line got home, two picks in the second half, a fourth and goal stop against the option. And all of this when they were worn out. The talent is there; Aranda needs to be more aggressive and stop playing soft coverage and straight 3-4 man rush every down.

2. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Agree, fully. He really didn't start playing more aggressive until mid-way of the second half, too. But, we looked like a different defense once we made changes and became more aggressive.

Does anyone know why we are not more aggressive from the outset? There has to be a reason. I wonder if Aranda/Oeaux feel that w/our quick strike offense, the aggressive D is too energy depleting? Or, perhaps, since we have a very young secondary, they don't want them to press at the line, and would rather zone? It's just weird. If our DBs are checking the WRs at the line, and our D is pressuring the QB, we are an amazing D.

furduknfish and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  3. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

I think that’s just what Aranda likes to do. He likes to rest on our talent and let the opponent make mistakes. As far as I can remember, that’s how he’s always done it. I think earlier aggression would lead to less time on the field and greater leads. We have one of the most talented defenses in the country.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  4. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

Chaisson may not have gotten a lot of sacks, but he helped shape the plays so his teammates could tackle. He was also held a lot. He's a good player.

furduknfish and didit like this.
  5. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

I hope we continue to see more of Brooks on passing downs. He brings a great pass rush opposite Chaisson.

tzanghi likes this.
  6. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

I’ll tip my hat to Mullen and his offense. They showed up and played like a top 10 team. I was not a fan of us getting walked down the field 4 straight drives. But the defense did make plays when they needed to. There were some Intangibles in there. One drive kept alive by PI call. Some missed holding calls that would have ended drives and definitely would have turned one TD into a FG attempt.

After FU went up 28-21 on the 1st drive of the 3rd, we didn’t give up a score after that. Bent but didn’t break. 2 big sacks in big moments when we needed them. Had some great pass break ups (few dropped INT’s) 2 big picks (one called back for shit roughing the passer call) but a huge one by a freshman in a huge moment (maybe the turning point in the game) and a very nice goal line stand at the end when we were gassed.

Does this mean better teams won’t do worse, no. But maybe we can improve while getting healthier. We will see.

Trying to pump a little sunshine in this crisp morning. Tigers are 6-0 with 2 huge top 10 wins and the have the college football world on notice. Be happy to be a Tiger fan and have some fun watching this 2019 team.

didit, lsu-i-like, Winston1 and 2 others like this.
  7. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Good team win. Defense wasn’t perfect but stood up when needed. Mullen is good (thank god for that series he gave to the wildcat qb, though).

8. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

The D does still need some work. But really if they would just get better at tackling I think we would be just fine. So many missed tackles last night. What a great game and win though!

didit and northernvatiger like this.
  9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Shit. How many ints have we dropped?

MikeInLa and northernvatiger like this.
  10. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Too many!

LSUpride123, didit and shane0911 like this.