D Linemen to Draft?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerSnarl, Nov 12, 2013.

1. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

Just got through with my normal morning check of the DD site. Scott over there is writing again about how our D line will look next year. I realize that Scott is just covering his bases but one of the points he keeps making is that things depend on if Freak and Ego return. Now I admit that I am not the best judge on if a player is NFL ready. But wouldn't it be career suicide for either of these two guys to come out in this next draft? Solid players on a bad defense do not get paid or drafted high. Am I overlooking something about their play or potential that would make them go in the first three rounds? My hope is that they come back with some help and shine next year.

gyver likes this.
  2. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

I don't know if either of them did anything to help their draft stock this season. There are alot of variables to be considered when predicting if this is the year they bolt or if they stay the course in Baton Rouge. With another off season and spring under their belt at LSU, we could see more out of them next season and hopefully get to see some running clogging and pass rushing from the both of them.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    gyver likes this.
  3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

You never know what drives these decisions (either the player or the team that drafts). From performance this year both Freak and Ego are at risk of a Trev Faulk event. That is not being drafted and not having a pro career, while Bradie James stayed the extra year and has benefited greatly.

However Freak has great measurable and Ego has shown flashes so if there isn't much D tackle talent they may go. Likewise their personal situations (family, grades etc) may force them to declare.

IMO their best move is to stay and reap the fruits of the next year. BTW based on their performance this year it may not be the best for LSU.

4. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

Both have potential, although neither has been anywhere near dominant. Its a tough choice because lets be honest. The coaching has stunk so its unlikely they would really improve their stock staying another year. Although neither will get a first round grade when its all said and done. Although Freak may just based on potential. Id like to see both stay in the hopes that the coaching does improve.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I think they still get drafted high on potential. Mingo didn't have a good senior season and was taken top 10.

Alot of coaches will look at the ability to mold these guys and probably feel they can do a better job than Brick Haley has and personally I would hope they can.

My .02 both are gone.

6. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I don't know about that, Brick Haley has really coached up most of his players. Neither Brockers or Logan were highly rated and they became top draft choices. He has put many player in better position. Ego has improved every year though he isn't star potential. It seems he is doing a good job with Hunter too. It may be that Freak, and Rasco were just at their peak in HS and had no ceiling.

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Not a single damn player on our defense this year has any business leaving early, but it's hard to feel like they'd be missed if they do.

65Grad likes this.
  8. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

I agree that LSU has done a great job of coaching up talent. However this year it seems like the coaches are all on vacation. We should have seen improvements this late in the season. Instead its the same issues every game.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Wasn't Mingo a jr?

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Oh yeah my bad, I said senior season I meant junior