D talk

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUpride123, Oct 23, 2010.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Ok, so at the start of the year, I feel safe saying we were kinda up in the air about how good this D is. Most of this is due to the youth that is playing.

After the first game, we tightened up real good.

While we did give up MAJOR yards, the D hung in there.

I think today was more of youth troubles than anything else. I say that because AUB's O GREATLY depends on D's not playing their gaps/assignments.

Does this seem about right? Just some growing pains on D?

Still, very workable..

Also, is it also safe to agree that with a better O, our D would not have gotten trashed?

I am so confused at this point. Part of me believes that the O finally caught up to the D, AKA 5 punts in a row with 4 3 and outs.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

our D is still a damn good defense, Cam Newton is just a beast. Our problem on D was missed tackles. We missed too many tackles today.

3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

We did miss a lot, we also over ran gaps and lanes...

4. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

All year we been a pressure defense causing havac in the backfield. We never even tried to get there today.

Played way back off the ball and let them come to us. Then we didnt tackle.

5. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

I think our D played well, all things considered. Cam Newton is just that good. It hurts to say it, but it's true. A guy like that is hard to tackle, no matter how big you are.

Offense and coaching killed us today. Jarrett Lee showed promise before he got hurt. Jordan Jefferson didn't play well until he knew Lee wasn't breathing down his neck (in a manner of speaking)...then when Lee was back in the game, he played like the Jefferson we know.

And the fact that we can't get 11 players on the field after a timeout is COMPLETELY inexcusable.

6. LaSalleAve

yep, and plus, you gotta give alot of credit to Derek Helton and Jasper for pinning them back so much.

But ultimately, our offense lost this game for us, not our Defense, we did bend, we didn't break often, and still had some huge stops.

7. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

It was'nt just Newton.
    Dyer 15 carries for 100 yards.
    McCalebb 4-89.
    Fannin 3-29.

8. LaSalleAve

do you think those guys get those yards if not for the threat of Cam Newton? You can probably credit those yards to Cam also.

9. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

I just think it's a case of the defense not being as good as people think. Can you name one good offense we have faced all year?

10. LaSalleAve

we have faced capable offenses. look at every game we have played except this game, we generally hold our opponents to considerably less than what they average against everyone else. Alot of Newton's yards came because we missed tackles and pinned the kid back behind his whole 10 the whole game. We didn't give up many points, and that was important, the offense failed us.