Dad posts pic of kid w/ gun, Family Services threatens to take kid

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by KyleK, Mar 20, 2013.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

link

Dad posts this pic of his kid and family services threatens to take the kid from the home. SMH.

[​IMG]

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

My first thought on seeing the picture was to notice the kid doesn't have his finger on the trigger. Tells me he's been taught more about gun safety than Diane Feinstein. Then I read the article. It's a .22, made up to look like an AR-15. My opinion: the dad who posted this pic was being deliberately provocative. I believe he hoped some left winger would do exactly what they did; see the picture and get the government to stick its nose in his business, and possibly violate the 2nd Amendment in the process. I'm sure he feels like he made a point, but he's kind of a dick to use his kid to make it.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Meh, idk about all that. There are tons of pictures with me holding all kinds of guns when I was a kid about this age. There just wasn't any facebook or other forms of social media to get them out on. Social services needs to spend their time cleaning up their own yard instead of cotinuing to run head long into these types of brick walls. They truly suck at what they do.

** I apologize to any social workers that may visit this site, it wasn't an individual statement, more of a blanket across the whole system. I know there are good workers out there, they are just in a terrible system**

4. KyleK

McTiger, I see your point, but there is nothing illegal about the pic. The chic from family services wouldn't even give her name. The father is a certified firearms instructor.

I have posted lots pics of kids in my family posing with guns. I wasn't trying to be provocative, just proud. I hope I would have the tenacity to stand up to 4 cops and a family services person as well as he did.

Still, the whole point is they can't just come into your home without a warrant because of a picture.

gyver likes this.
  5. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I think most people would agree that the reaction of family services was ridiculous, even though it's not surprising. That being said, I've never understood why people think it's necessary to photograph themselves or others while holding a gun. I could understand if it was a gun that you made with your own two hands. Otherwise, I really don't see the point outside of trying to look like a badass but looking like a dumbass in the process. "Hey, look! I can hold things!"

StaceyO likes this.
  6. KyleK

Damn Shane, you getting soft? Or are you expecting a visit sometime soon?!!

4EvrLSU likes this.
  7. KyleK

For the same exact reason I take pictures of my kids w/ golf clubs, fishing rods, baseball bats, basketballs, etc. It's activities that my kids are involved in.

gyver, GregLSU, gynojunkie and 2 others like this.
  8. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

So you have pics of them holding their Xboxes? :D I guess I'm a little different. I really only take pics of my kid while he's actually doing said activity.

9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

You don't have to understand it. You just have to respect their right to do it without the guhment threatening to take their kids. That's what's ridiculous, not the picture itself.

GregLSU, shane0911 and 4EvrLSU like this.
  10. xlnsports

xlnsports Cajun In Exile

It was a present and he was proud of his new rifle no more than a kid wanting you to take a picture with a new bike.

gyver, GregLSU, shane0911 and 2 others like this.