Dale Brown = Les Miles?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by dmeaux, Oct 7, 2010.

1. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Since Bobby Knight was mentioned I thought I would come out of the closet...I am a big Bobby Knight fan.

Bobby Knight graduated something like 95% of his players..(.LSU probably is around 9%)...and Indiana is no slouch university.

None of the multitude of Knight's players who ended up in the NBA and were finally out from under Knight's thumb have anything bad to say about him.

Just my $.02

2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Agreed, Knight was old school. A bit of a self-centered jerk at times, yes. But tell me this, is he honestly any worse than Nick Saban (other than the chair-throwing incident and the couple of times he got physical with his players)? Just because Nick ain't done it yet doesn't mean he never will. I could absolutely see Saban throwing a gatorade bucket out on the field one of these days, or maybe even gettin' into it with a player. Same type of personality.

As for Coach Brown, he was/is a much better coach than is given credit for. He came to a school where basketball was little more than an elective P.E. class at the time and built a nationally relevant program. Just because he fell short with that very talented team in the early 90s, people bag on him.

The biggest difference between Miles and Brown; Brown didn't have to be a coach in today's era, at a place like Duke, Kentucky, or UCLA. Miles is in a much higher-pressure, zero-tolerance-for-imperfection-of-any-kind situation than Brown ever was. If Miles had done what he's done here at a place like Kansas or Duke, he would be beloved (hat, speech, clock-management adventures and all). But this ain't Kansas or Duke. Football is king here, and the fans want it to be the best.

3. xlnsports

xlnsports Cajun In Exile

Knight is was and always be a asshat. The graduation thing is more because of the university. How can you not be a fan of someone who say's classic lines like "I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it." He to me is a good coach that was a classless bully. Just as dale Brown was a Average Coach that was a great motivator and a great human being.
    My 2 cents

4. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I'm a Knight fan but I love Dale Brown. I was a freshman when he first came to LSU. I used to have one of those wanted posters..."the hustlers".

Dale Brown has more class in his finger than Knight.

I wish I could meet Dale Brown in person. I'd love to serve him at the cafe. Talk about someone who overcame long odds to succeed in life.

5. Herb

Herb Founding Member

But you gotta admit you got excited when Dale Brown would put his team into the 4 corners offense!