Dale Brown's book signing

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by inNickwetrust, Dec 11, 2004.

1. inNickwetrust

inNickwetrust Founding Member

I got to meet Dale Brown today at the Barnes and Nobles on Veterans blvd, talked to him how i was there when he upset eventual runner up to UCLA memphis state in his first game, funny thing was he said he didnt go to too many games after he stepped down because he and the new coach didnt get along too well but they have a lot better relationship now, his new book is great, relives all the classic moments in the Dale Brown era, how memphis state's coach called him dave instead of dale when he introduced himself and used it as motivation, the fight with the hustlers against vandy, the upset of kentucky when the 5 starters fouled out, the 35 point win at Rupp arena in 87, the bobby knight incidents,the tossing of the coat on the logo at Rupp, dale not sleeping at the 87 tournament and a chapter about his vendetta agaisnt those "Gestapo Bastards" overall a nice read, nice to relive all the excitement of the 80's and early 90's. i forgot that 89-90 team with cj shaq and stanley roberts beat kentucky unlv loyala texas Notre dame and villanova, it was tough to read about that 87 elite 8 game tho, the dome would have been ROCKING had the tigers won, at last assistant johnny jones left a note on a pillow after the 86 tigers had lost 6 of 9 games,"Coach B, We will rise again- remember you are at your best when the odds are against you." that quote sums up daddy dale,

2. Tigerskin

Tigerskin Founding Member

I have met him and personally I like the guy. Yes, I know what happened in his last few years of coaching.

3. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

Like him or not, the guy is a fascinating individual.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

It doesn't matter to some "fans" how great a person a coach is if he doesn't win.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Dale is a legend and I'm glad he didn't move back to his ranch in North Dakota upon retirement. The town wouldn't be the same without him.

6. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

Regretably, you're right. One thing about Daddy Dale, he was never boring.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I'm surprised that Dale never took a TV BBall Analist job. Can you imagine Dale Brown and Dickie V sharing a microphone?

8. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I wish he wouldn't have left LSU in the lurch like that...Most close to the program, even in the media, were aware of what he was doing long ago to get recruits in, but it would have been wonderful for him to remain around the program.

It was impossible to do so after he got caught, but still...it would have been wonderful for him to help and guide Brady...and I hate to say it, but he would have been great teaming up with Hawthorne to do PBP broadcasts...

I still think he's a veritable wealth of information, I just wish that he hadn't done what he did.

I remember a story he told to a group of individuals at the P-MAC before the Arkansas game in '00...

He was coaching an SEC game, and a ref was just blowing call after call after call...and he finally called him over during a timeout and asked him, "What would you do to me if I called you a sonofabitch?"

The ref replied, "I'd throw you out of the game."

Brown then asked, "Well, what would you do if I just thought it you were a sonfoabitch?"

The ref then said, "I couldn't do much to you for thinking it, Coach."

Brown then fired right back, "I think you're a sonofabitch."

He was thrown out of the game...

Classic, and an original...

9. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

Great story. As I said, the guy wasn't boring. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: