Dallas Area Tigers - I-20 - Trip home

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Aug 26, 2004.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Does anyone have any latest news on the I-20 construction, I am sure I am not the only one here heading East and South back home and was wondering if we should plan an alternate route, last time the delay was 2.5 hours and it was a beating....

Thanks.

2. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

3. TexasTigers

Thanks of course this is in Texas, the construction is by Tyler and Lindale (Which by the way last year for opening day I got a ticket right when it went from 75 to the construction zone. So be careful)

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I'm traveling to B.R. next Thursday night, so it shouldn't be a problem on the way. However, on Labor Day, when we're returning home, I might have to consider getting onto Hwy. 80 near Marshall. It run parallel to I-20, and though it will slow you going through towns, the delay is only about 30 minutes to 1 hour, as opposed to several hours on the interstate.

5. tigermojo

tigermojo Founding Member

I drove from Shreveport back to Ft. Worth last Saturday during the afternoon and didn't have any delay. Last year though, especially around Canton, it was horrible. If it looks bad, like StaceyO said, take 80 as far as you can.

6. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

last time i went (over father's day weekend) i had no traffic in Tyler/Lindale at all. It might be completed

7. TexasTigers

Cool thanks for the Info, The worst part is just getting out of Dallas.

8. dallas tiger 2

dallas tiger 2 Founding Member

To all North Texas Tigers,

I-20 construction is completed in Tyler, so that is no longer a concern. FYI, if you live in far North Dallas (Plano, Allen, McKinney, Frisco), an alternative route to BR is as follows:

- east on 380 to Greenville (I-30)
    - east on I-30 to Mt. Pleasant
    - east on SH 49 to Texas/LA border, where highway becomes LA 2
    - east on LA 2 to LA 1
    - south on LA1 to merge with US 71
    - US 71 to Shreveport; US 71 becomes I-220
    - take I-220 to highway 3132; go east on 3132 until I-49
    - I-49 south....you're on your way

I have made the drive to BR 3-5 times a year for the past 14 years,,,the way I just described is 8 miles further for me (I live in McKinney) than the I-20 route, but I-30 is much less crowded and the road between I-30 and Shreveport (SH 49), albeit 2 lane, has a posted speed limit of 70 mph.....so you can still make good time.

Just fyi.

9. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I've never thought of making the trip on I-30, but I live in far north Plano, so I guess that could be an option, as well as a way to avoid Dallas traffic at rush hour when leaving after work.

10. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

I made the drive from Forney down I-20 to Shreveport the weekend of Aug 15th and I didn't encounter any construction that I can remember.