Dandy Don

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by OpelousasLSUFan, Aug 16, 2006.

1. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

I watched the game with a Cal Bear fan and he called TD before me even before I replayed it on my HD Tivo (where that game STILL resides, BTW).

Looked like a pretty objective call to me. It STILL does.

PS I just watched it again. It's STILL a TD. Would you have preferred it NOT be called a TD because their was some question about the catch???? :dis:

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

3. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

4. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

Ok obviously you guys have no clue what I am talking about.

A couple years ago Don posted on his site that LSU was hot on two recruits. One was Rhatphuc Hobley and the other was Buster Hymen.

READ THE NAMES CLOSE FOR THOSE WHO ARE SLOW

Someone emailed him and told him these guys were the greatest thing since sliced bread and he ran with it. Even had some bio info about Rhatphuc's dad being some great athlete from the past.

Yeah so I find it hard to believe that anyone would trust his opinion on prospects.

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

If Don & his son say that Saban called him, I guess I believe them. But I don't think he particularly cared about Don's opinion on a recruit like he was supposedly calling for, I think it was more about building a relationship with him so that he would not post the rumors about coaches before they happened, etc.

It isn't just those 2 players, but every year Don talks up lower prospects that appear to have no shot at getting an LSU scholarship as if we should be recruiting the guys very hard & should sacrifice some 4 star out of state recruit for him. He also gives strong preference to any players when he has talked to either them or their parents because then he thinks he has inside info.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Don officialled high school games for many years and still attends several games each week. The recruits he sees, he knows a lot about.

Could he be spoofed by some jerk about a bogus player . . possibly. But I never saw the post you refer too, and I have seen this same story told about several sportswriters over the past 30 years.

7. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

I too watched it about 10 times. He never had control of the football, and we were damn lucky to get that call.

Incomplete pass.

Of course not, and I jumped up and down for 10 minutes. We had company over that night and I ignored them because of that awesome 4th quarter.

It wasn't a catch though.

8. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

yea it was.

9. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

I was at a Stanfurd /ND game about 5 years ago and the Stanfurd player held the ball for a split second in the end zone, and then it was knocked out of his hands. It was at the end of the game and LSJU won.

Guess what?

It was called a TD.

Same thing here, except it was in the opponent's stadium.

What exactly constitutes possession in your mind, anyway?

He CONTROLLED the ball, and when he hit the ground it STILL didn't come out...

I'm DAMN glad you weren't the ref for that game. :dis:

PS You would probably complain that Jessica Simpson couldn't cook if you were married to her. :hihi:

I can only hope your obvious guilt over winning that game is over.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

shoulda watched it 11.

i think this is an example of when martian said you have a problem detecting truth. your intentions are good but you're wrong a lot.