Dandy Don's Comments for Today (Aug 6)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TejasTiger, Aug 6, 2004.

1. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

I read Don Long's site every day, and I'm confused enough about a couple of his comments to post and discuss here if only to ask if I've missed some info or something recently.

First, I was a bit surprised by his, well, writing off of Randall's chances to remain starter this season. Saying that he expects Randall to be THIRD on the depth chart by mid-season is a very strong statement, one that indirectly questions the decision-making of the coaching staff.

I mean, if Randall really is, all things being equal, the third best QB on the roster, why start him in the early part of the season when LSU's toughest games occur?

More confusing to me were the comments regarding Amp Hill being a starter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Amp *still* battling pain and swelling issues with his bad knee? Last I heard, the term "medical redshirt" was being tossed around, now Don has him slated to start?

:confused:

2. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Concerning Amp Hill his brother in law logged into this site (Plug for Tiger Forums) and said Anthony was doing fine.

1 person likes this.
  3. bolobolo

bolobolo Founding Member

I was also wondering why he was so fast to write off Bowe as reciever. I normally do not post on speculation of who is going to start. I had the opportunity to talk to one of the coaches and he was really high on both Bowe and Doucet saying that both these guys had more upside than Clayton and Henderson as far as raw talent. From talking to him, I got the impression that Bowe and Doucet would be likely starting. I also asked about linebackers and he said that EJ Kuale was a STUD.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Don has a great site, but his opinions are just that. His opinions. Sometimes he's right, sometimes not -- pretty much just like the rest of us.

He gets a lot of email from people, but not all of it is inside info. And much of the inside info has a spin based on the players perceptions.

Knee injuries can be really bad like Harvey Williams and Liffort Hobley who never really came back the same, or they can be like Marcus Randall who came back in less than a year. We'll all just have to see.

Everybody has their own idea about the quarterback, too. We could have worse problems than three guys who can play. I will not be disappointed in whoever earns the start.

5. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

Like red said, everyone has an opinion. If Randall starts the season and I believe he will, I sure as hell hope he finishes as the starter. If he doesn't it could mean bad things for the Tigers.

I just cann't see someone losing the starting position if we are winning. About the only thing that could cause him to lose the starting role is a dumb ass play like Booty made in the UAB game.

6. JETigER

JETigER Founding Member

RANDALL IS BETTER AT GAME MANAGEMENT AT THIS TIME.

It is so obvious that randall is the THIRD best quarterback on our team after the snap of the ball.

but randall is the best quarterback we have before the snap of the ball.

1 person likes this.
  7. JETigER

JETigER Founding Member

craig nall was winning but still got benched, so you post isnt accurate

8. studentsect

studentsect Founding Member

on Randall

I've heard this from 2 players, one a walk-on friend of mine, the other a player who actually sees the field a lot: Marcus Randall is without a doubt the man. Both of them say its not even close, and don't understand why people think its such a big controversy. That the only ways Randall doesn't start the whole year are: 1. he gets injured, 2. he is playing really horrible and a freshman comes in and does incredible, 3. or one of the freshman shows himself to be a much better gamer than in practice during garbage time and is given more and more time until taking the spot. The guy who actually plays told me that if Lester Ricard would have stayed he would have a better chance of starting than the freshmen. People need to remember these guys are 19 or 20 years old. Randall is confident in himself, and so are his players.

1 person likes this.
  9. DJ

DJ Founding Member

I have no idea why Dandy Don would think that Flynn would end up as the starter at QB. If Randall loses the starting job at QB, which I frankly don't expect, I would think that Jamarcus Russell, with his exceptional talent, is in a better position to step in than Flynn.

Don't get me wrong here, I am not saying that Flynn lacks talent, but instead that Jamarcus Russell seems to have exceptional skills that should allow him to surpass even a talented QB like Flynn.

Matt Flynn wanted to be a Tiger even though he knew he would be facing an elite level of competition for playing time. Flynn knew he would be facing stiff competition, but he never considered taking the easy path. Therefore, regardless of whether Flynn ends up #1, #2 or #3 this year on the QB depth chart, he has the character and leadership of a true TIGER, and he deserves the support and good wishes of every Tiger fan.

Also, given Saban's fairly consistent expressions of confidence in Randall, I don't see why DD would expect Randall to be unsuccessful at QB. Nick has no history of publically saying that a player is performing well when he really thinks that player is not getting the job done.

My guess is that unless Russell and Flynn makes a big move in the upcoming Fall practice, they are going to have to wait until 2005 before either of them becomes the starting QB at LSU.

1 person likes this.
  10. dscott3

dscott3 Founding Member

Randall will start game one...

but Russell should get alot of playing time early. After the FL game expect to see Russell taking more snaps than Randell. Randell only has game experience on his side. Once Russell has some experience, LSU should open up the offense by putting more speed on the field than any one in the country can defend. QBs should scramble, not run. The better throwing ability of Russell will be a more affective offense than the inconsistency of Randall. Notice this was the entire frame of mind in the second half of the Spring game. I will support Randall has the starter for now.

1 person likes this.