Darren Sharper will be free agent--Will NOT Get Franchise Tag

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Feb 22, 2010.

1. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Re: Darren Sharper is a free agent--Will NOT Get Franchise Tag

Players hate the franchise tag when it prevents them from getting more money and longer term contracts. I don't think Sharper can get more than 6 million and because of his age no one is likely to give him a really long deal IMO. The only caveat is the lack of a salary cap. Who the hell knows what some rich fool owner will pay.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

In this case, I bet Sharper was hoping we would franchise tag him.

He probably won't get any more than 4.5 million, and even that might be pushing it.

To get 6.455 million guaranteed for 1 year would not have upset Darren Sharper. No one will sign him past 2 years, so he would only be looking at getting 1 more year on a contract at best. So if he gets 9 million for 2 years, that's like getting franchised and then making 2.6 million the next season. Probably about a wash.

3. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

the franchise tag is made for guys in sharper's situation. it benefits him and the team.

younger players due long term contracts hate it because of all the unknowns that happen in a year and no fat signing bonus.

4. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Since he is not going to be franchised....he will become a free agent in a matter of days. What's false about that?

Changed it to "will be" a free agent to satisfy you. I will change it back to "is" in a few days.

Thanks for reading.

Settle down, pal.

5. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

Well, I hoped Sharper would be able to stay, but we all know this is what happens after a team wins the Super Bowl, usually. If it does happen, I wish him the best.

And Okie, what part of ''atupid'' didn't you understand?:hihi:

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Apparently, it doesn't matter.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8168911b&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Sharper now coming out and saying he is surprised Saints are letting him test the market.

Looks like we are parting ways. For now. We can always sign him in the end after he finds out he can't get the money he wants at age 34.