Data plans are a rip off

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Aug 28, 2015.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

has anyone noticed that you can't watch a video on your mobile device or laptop these days (except Netflix thank you people at Netflix) without a fucking commercial coming on before the video? Well, that commercial is using your data. So we are essentially now paying for commercials.

Are there any isp's that offer unlimited data? I'm really close to saying fuck AT&T because of this. They've already started capping internet data at 150 gb for DSL and 250 gb for uverse. So now everytime I watch a video, I'm paying for it, and I didn't click on a fucking commercial.

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Back when AT&T had unlimited data, that's what we signed up for, even though we didn't need it at the time. I am grandfathered in and will stay with AT&T just for the data.

Still though, the commercials are a PITA.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

never thought of it that way. at&t is one shady corporation yet i still use them for my cell. their next plan is a complete ripoff so i got the 2 yr contract, paid 300 bucks for my cell as part of the agreement so i dont have to pay the entire cost of the phone. well, they inform me after the fact that this supposed discount I have on my data plan doesnt apply now. my shit went up 20+ dollars more a month (ie, their way of making me pay for the 900 dollar phone even though I signed a 2 yr contract).

ive yet to make the jump to cricket wireless simply because they dont have unlimited or even a 15 gb plan. they are unlimited but capped once you hit your limit.

for home i dont use ATT, oh wait yes i do with directv whom they just bought.

4. tirk

they didnt finagle their way into killing that when you upgrade? they sure as hell try hard.

i had it too through work yet changed jobs and lost it. i fought to keep it but to no avail.

5. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

They tried to get me on that new thing they have where you upgrade before your 2 year contract is over. I always decline.

tirk likes this.
  6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

You are aware they throttle you if you start using a lot of data though right?

And anytime you try to change your plan you lose your unlimited.

7. tirk

pretty sure kyles safe there.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You can get 20 gb from Cricket for $60. $55 with autopay. If you know how to unlock your phone you won't have to buy a new one

9. tirk

they killed that plan long ago. as well as the 15gb plan.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Must have been recent. I've only been with Cricket since March