Davenport leaves the team

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, Jan 9, 2013.

1. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

This is the part from Dandy Don I definitely agree with aside from those that are leaving early......................he is referring to Mike Detillier

"I particularly like the way he responded when I asked what LSU would have to do to get back to the top of the SEC. His answer included the phrase, “There needs to be a change in this offense from a coaching standpoint and from a scheme standpoint.”

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Not what I said. I specifically said there is a clear correlation to 5 star players being successful in college.

It was in response to her saying "5 stars is just like 1st round draft choices that never pan out at the next level."

3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

[​IMG]

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I feel a little misquoted. I was making a correlation that is sometimes true. And of your USC example, only 10 out of the 21 went before the 4th round of the draft if they were drafted at all. I would say that at least half of Miles' five-star recruits have panned out nicely. Shepard and Davenport? Not so much.

5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Well to be drafted would mean they panned out, wouldn't it. Maybe I'm not understanding your definition of pan out.

As for Miles, if there's two glaring weaknesses it would be game day coaching and player development.

6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

There were around 9 or so kids after this year that were to have a shot at leaving, this was know from the start by the staff, they knew this and so did most scouts and pro teams. There was a chance, if with a good year, Mett was to be leaving, yep some had his name. The kicker this year was Minter, his stock moved up the charts, hes one that many didn't think about. A good staff knows who maybe leaving, just like a good staff knows who will be signing on signing day, you'd better know, or get ready to get stuck. Happens every year. Remember years back, Kevin Faulk, was he coming out, was he gonna stay. He stayed and who left early that year. What would have happened if Faulk would have left his Jr. year? What if the guy that declared early had came back to LSU, for his Sr. year, one of the best to ever wear the P&G.

Simon is the one to keep an eye on, you never know, there is one team(Guess who, they are still in the playoffs) in the NFL that has made that move to larger DB (CB's and Safeties), the CB's are 6'3" 195# and 6'4" 221, the SS is 6'3" 232. Many teams are looking at this with the taller WR's and the usage of TE split out to create mismatches. The bigger CB's jam at the line, disrupt the timing, etc. Best of luck to all the former LSU players.

Every now and then you'll have a player come out, everyone but the right people are tell him how great he is and how high he'll be drafted. Then that player never gets drafted, its happened more than once.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

5 stars that really didn't amount to anything or at least didn't amount to a 5 star billing, off the top of my head, Shepard, Davenport, Al Woods, Jai Eugene, possibly Keiland Williams, he's bordenline, but then if he is borderline so is Michael Ford.

Keiland 1263 total rushing yards on 223 attempts 5.66 yards per rush, 12 rushing touchdowns, 269 receiving yards, 2 receiving td's, 496 return yards, and also threw a touchdown.

Michael Ford total rushing yards 1416 on 243 attempts 5.82 yards per rush, 13 rushing touchdowns, 69 receiving yards, 1 receiving touchdown, 549 return yards.

Did Ford and Williams live up to the 5 star billing? I think the more important thing to realize other than Miles or any coach having 5 stars that pan out or not, is maybe these 5 stars didn't deserve to be 5 stars in the first place.

8. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

This comes into play many times.

Looking back from last years class. Jalen Mills, Vadal Alexander and Hill could after this year, be closer to 5* recruits. Remember this, LSU had no 5* players coming in from that class (Scout Rankings).

9. Eliminator55

Eliminator55 May God Help Us.

Of the players that are in a somewhat decent position to move on, which of these are staying? So, it seems to me that the more relevant question should be, who isn't leaving? While there will likely be a few players mentioned that chose to stay, it's safe to say that the list would be limited, if it even exists at all.

That should tell us something.

Then again, I could be looking at this in totally the wrong manner, which is very likely. In today's world, who wouldn't move on if they had a shot?

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Craig Loston, JC Copeland, Alfred Blue, Kadron Boone, James Wright, and Lamin Barrow, and Josh Williford, seem to be the only ones of any relevance that are eligible that have decided to stay. All good decisions, at this point I only see 3 of those guys playing next level, Loston, Barrow, and Blue. Maybe Cope but the fullback is dying in the NFL.