Davenport leaves the team

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

Saban certainly did when he went to the Dolphins. Just think had he waited until he got a first-rate offer...say just two more years when Bill Cowher retired as head coach of the Steelers and Pittsburgh was looking to hire a defensive guru, which they did by going with Tomlin, who was DB coach for those great Tampa Bay defenses during the early to mid 2000s.

Think what Saban would have done with that great Steeler D, OL, running game, and clutch QB and WRs

2. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

And...had Saban coached at LSU for two more years before going to the Steelers, then Bobby Petrino would have left Louisville for LSU instead of going to the Atlanta Falcons!

3. Eliminator55

Eliminator55 May God Help Us.

When I posed the question of who wouldn't move on, I was really only referring to players. Top coaches will be well compensated wherever they go, be it the NFL or college. The players risk injury if they return.

4. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

NFL players are well compensated wherever they go. Look...
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/07/2011-2014-nfl-minimum-base-salaries/

...and see how the League MINIMUM base salaries START at half a million and increase about an additional 100k on top of that each and every year (an additional 100k, 200k, 300k, 400k, etc)...and look how, on top of that, they increase another additional 20k on top of that as each and every year goes by (an additional 20k, 40k, 60k, 80k, 100k, etc). And that's just the bare MINIMUM for the League (not including your signing bonus and your other bonuses and incentives)...would be foolish not to jump on that train a year sooner rather than later when you consider NFL players only make it X amount of years...and you're not getting any younger...

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Instead of "pan out," let's use the phrase "lived up to the massive hype." If those USC 5 stars didn't go before the 4th round of the NFL draft, they likely didn't live up to the ridiculous hype of the 5 star recruit.

I disagree that Miles hasn't been a player developer. He's had a number of 3* guys who have gone in the first round of the draft; however, player development is also a very internal thing within each player. As for QB development? I'd agree that's been quite lacking. Other positions? I think he's pretty good.

Over the years, my dad probably coached two 5 star players (they didn't rank them that way "back in the day," though they were called "blue chippers" back then.) One of them played at UCLA, started for 4 years at DB, made All-American his senior year, and played for the Rams for a couple of years (a nagging hamstring injury finally took him out of the league.)

The other 5 star player was a RB who signed with LSU the same year as Gary James and Dalton Hilliard. He was much more highly "ranked" than those two guys, especially James. However, he had a high ankle sprain in fall camp his freshman year, felt entitled because he was a blue chipper, and gave the Stovall staff a pain in the neck. He eventually transferred to USL and was drafted by the Lions and was their Rookie of the Year in '87. However, he blew out his knee in fall camp the next season, and Barry Sanders for the Lions became, well...Barry Sanders. The former Rookie of the Year went to Tulane Law School and became a sports agent.

My dad's most successful former player in the pros was one who went to Mississippi Valley State but played WR for the Packers (under Favre) and then to the Texans. He played around 10 years, which makes him eligible for full NFL retirement.

6. vshouse

vshouse Veteran Member

LOL...if that were the case ALOT more people would be staying for their senior season.

7. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

TMI, I know this one, good guy.

In 1984 a RB coach was hired out of high school, to coach these RB's, do you remember him? His son played QB at LSU.

8. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I'm sure my dad would. The position coaches kept calling him and asking him how to handle the player's father. :)

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i dont think you can hold it against clm if a player leaves early and isnt drafted as high as you think his potential is. 11 guys likely to be drafted--hard to say clm has a problem with player development.

StaceyO likes this.
  10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Well that would surely change the scope.

I found myself not wanting to type that comment- at least THAT particular part. It occurred to me that despite our injuries, loss of players to whatever reasons this past year, he managed to plug holes enough to have a reputable season. Overall though, in addition to QB, our offensive line has struggled under Miles. Being it was his position, that says something about him being able to pass on what he knows.

Going back to Malveto, we've had defensive issues too. Most coaches are hands-on with one or the other (in addition to having good assistants in OC and DC) but Miles lacks that identity. People know, for example, Saban's defenses; Kelly's (Oregon) offenses; Beamer's Special Teams. With Miles we just never know what to expect.