Davey an NFL prospect?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by KenB, Nov 6, 2001.

1. KenB

KenB Freshman

Because of my geographic location, the only Tiger game I've seen in person this year was the game against Kentucky. I was tremendously impressed by Davey's passing. He throws one of the most catchable passes I've ever seen. He definitely has the size to play on Sundays. The only problem I see with him is that he's not especially mobile. I can foresee him taking some world-class hits from hard-charging defensive linemen. What do you think?

2. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

Davey

Rohan is most definately a pro prospect. He has the size, a strong arm, great touch, great leadership skills. He is also not as immobile as many think. I would compare his running skills to those of Brian Griese. Not great, but adequate.

3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Davey seems to have all the intagibles that a QB needs. I didn't think (until recently) that he had enough arm strength for the NFL because he seems to throw floaters a lot over the middle. I have to agree that his passes appear to be extremely "catchable" as you indicated and he has thrown a few darts this year that show he has the ability to throw them when needed. It's difficult to analyze how much of his success is due to the WR's LSU has this year. Still, the difference between Davey and Booty is probably that Davey gives his guys chances to make the easy catch and do some work after, while Booty always tried to throw lasers into double coverage. I'm definitely no draft expert (although neither is Mel Kiper Jr.), but I would take a chance on Davey in the middle to late rounds.

4. G. C. TIGER

G. C. TIGER Freshman

DAVEY

Davey is someone that you can develop into a good NFL quarterback. He works hard, will lead and take charge and has the physical abilities. He would be hard for NFL to tackle, like Culpeper.

5. tigerman7024

tigerman7024 Founding Member

Love him, but...

...It may be difficult for Davey to make it in the NFL. The reason is his mechanics are not fluid, and at times it appears he is thinking too much about how to do things instead of just doing them. He is big, sometimes too big, and carrying around 250lbs slows him down more than it should. I think the injuries will be a factor in his draft status as well.

Now on the other hand, I think Davey represents a great project for a team that has time to slowly develop a quarterback. If he were to end up with Philly or Denver or somewhere where he would be a definate low cost backup and learn everything he could, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended starting on Sundays in about three to five years. If a team takes a chance and rushes him too quickly then we could see him bust like Heath Shuler.

Believe me I am pulling for Rohan to make it to the next level like you wouldn't believe. But, to be fair, I think it will be a slow process before we see him taking snaps on Sunday.

6. Lou's Boys

Lou's Boys Freshman

Good College QB at Best

Everybody Loves their teams starting QB but we all must face the fact, in the SEC, I honestly think that there is one QB right now that can play on Sunday's and that is Eli Manning. The rest are College all-american's to all of us but in the trenches of the NFL where timing and quick thinking is everything and mistakes = cut you have to wonder. Look at all these guys that were great college QB's and could not make the pro-cut: Wuerfel, Ware (heisman), Hypel, Brees, McNown, Leaf, Toretta (heisman) just to name a few, the guys who succeed were smart always seem to make the right decision and lived for the big game. I.E. we all knew that Peyton Manning had the talent and was going to be a good QB, same thing with Eli (he is better). Other than that, there maybe a NFL QB on one of our benches that is awaiting his turn to shine and will one day star in the NFL.

7. BBF Admin

BBF Admin Guest

Most scouts have Davey rated in their top 6 qb's in the draft. He will make a squad, and get his chance.