David Pollack's poor behavior at LSU game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Kandjviz, Sep 25, 2007.

1. TheDrunkenTiger

TheDrunkenTiger Founding Member

Are you sure, Im fairly certain he was a DE. I recall this because the debate was Marcus Spears Vs. David Pollack (two DE) in the draft. I could be wrong, just saying.

2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Yep, you're right. He was a DE. I stand corrected. :redface:

What confused me was his number. You don't see too many DE wearing #47.

3. Lil Jules

Lil Jules Founding Member

He was a defensive lineman in college but was playing outside linebacker in NFL (kind of one of those hybrid guys).

4. Potted Plant

Potted Plant Founding Member

What a pointless argument that turned out to be. Pollack's hurt now, but he wasn't much of much when he was playing in the NFL, and Spears has been pretty much invisible.

5. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I've also had the same impression about Ley. Guess you can't always judge a book by its cover.

6. Kandjviz

Kandjviz Founding Member

Bob Ley was at the Tennessee game here in '05 doing a story on Katrina. He was at the LSU game to get a little more info for his story but the story was going to be primarily about N.O.. Anywho, when I asked him about the story he wouldn't respond kind of looked at me like I wasn't there and then spoke to the LSU Press people in a condescending manner. Well giving him the benefit of the doubt that he may have not heard me clearly, I asked him again. He looked at me with disdain and didn't answer my question. He looked as if he was tolerating us little people and wasn't happy about having to be near such as us in what he thought was lower class citizens. I speak to alot of these people when I check their credentials but he was a rare one indeed. He never did say a word to me that's what I think of everytime his show comes on.:thumb:

7. Carl Dubois

Carl Dubois Freshman

Someone brought this thread to my attention, and I would like a chance to respond to the allegations posted about me.

First, I do not recall having mistreated an LSU game marshal. Perhaps someone else did, and onlookers thought it was me. I can't count the number of times one reporter has been mistaken for another. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding of another sort. I have a good relationship with numerous marshals at LSU, some of whom joke with me often. Two or three of them make a point of finding me and asking me in a gruff tone for my credentials, knowing that I have them, and they do so in good humor, pretending to be serious. We sometimes feign a confrontation, and it's all in good fun. Maybe this explains what was posted.

If it does not, and you know the name of the person who thinks I was rude to him or her, please have that person contact me at The Advocate. If I did something that deserves an apology, I would like to do so.

I do recall once standing in the rain while my bag was searched, and I asked if it would be possible to move to a spot inside the gate and under cover while the search was completed. I don't think I was being rude -- just speaking the way a person does when they'd like to come in out of the rain. If I was being rude, then I owe someone an apology.

Second, the column item about bag checks after 9/11 was not meant to disparage state troopers or marshals or anyone else. I simply pointed out that not all bags were searched thoroughly. I would think anyone concerned about their safety would want to know this before entering Tiger Stadium. If the people doing the searches were offended by the column, that was not my intention. I would have written the same thing about airport security if I covered that beat. I have a feeling people here would have been outraged if there had been a bomb set off at Tiger Stadium, and later they found out we knew the bags weren't being checked thoroughly but we chose not to say something. I'd rather report the truth, even if it means my bags are searched longer and more extensively, than distort the truth so someone's feelings are spared. The point was: If you are going to have long delays because of bag checks, those checks should be thorough.

I can also assure you I did not avoid that gate later for fear of being confronted by security. Some days back then, going through the administration building was the best route inside (because of the construction). Other times, other routes were best, particularly in bad weather. I have to face everyone I write about; I don't hide. Because of that, you can be sure when I write something, it's what I believe to be true. That's the only way I can face the people I write about with a clear conscience. I can't hide behind an anonymous screen name.

That said, I appreciate the job security and the marshals do. They are there to help all of us, and they often work in adverse conditions. If you know of a specific instance in which I did something that was inappropriate or rude to them, please e-mail me at cdubois 'at' theadvocate.com, and I will be glad to do what I can to make amends.

Finally, thank you for allowing me the chance to respond. I read a lot of urban myths about reporters on these sites when I check them out, and this is one time I felt it necessary to respond. People do tend to believe what they read, I have come to learn, even if it's not true.

If in this case it is true and I am either suffering from selective memory lapse or denial of some sort, I do hope you will contact me if you have specifics about anything I did that was deemed rude.

Thanks.

Carl Dubois
    The Advocate

8. fanatic

I cannot STAND people who are like this and will generally keep asking them questions escalating in annoyance until they're forced to talk. I'd rather be told to STFU (and I frequently am :hihi: ) then to be ignored.

9. fanatic

See, this is where your story loses credbility. You know it never rains in Tiger Stadium. :grin:

Only kidding. I applaud you for taking the time out here on our board to set the record straight. :thumb:

10. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Agreed. :thumb: