Deangelo Benton vs. Reuben Randle

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Oct 19, 2010.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Remember when people were getting aggravated that we passed on Benton?

I think we made out better. :rofl:

Deangelo Benton total stats at Auburn 09 and this season:

7 cactches for 103 yards.

Rueben Randle total stats in 09 and this season:

30 catches for 444 yards 3 touchdowns (with Jordan Jefferson mainly as his qb)

2. west_tex_tiger

west_tex_tiger Founding Member

Forced to choose between the two, I"d take Randle. The only problem I have with that situation is that Rueben Randle's Dad is telling Les Miles who he can recruit and who he can't. IMO, that is bull****. However, my issue is more with Randle's father than Rueben, and he probably thought he was acting in his son's best interest anyway.

Now if we can get Jarrett Lee in there for a full game, maybe Rueben can do more than just be a blocker.

1 person likes this.
  3. LaSalleAve

That's kind of the way I see it.

If it were your son, you wouldn't tell the coach recruiting your kid that if __________ gets recruited to play football for your school, than my kid is going elsewhere.

4. west_tex_tiger

I would hope I wouldn't do that. I don't think it's right. I don't know the history between the Randle's & Benton's, but I believe they are both from the same town and high school (Bastrop, if memory serves). Emmit (Papa) Randle seemed to suggest that it wasn't personal, but he just wanted his son to play. IMO, competition is part of the game, and Dad shouldn't be telling Miles who he can sign. It denied Benton a chance to play at LSU, which I believe he really wanted to do. It also weakened our recruiting class for that year a little bit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we've got #2. I'd like to see Lee throw him the ball more. I can't say for sure I wouldn't have done what his Dad did, but I would hope I would have been above that.

5. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

14.8 ypc Randle
    14.7 ypc Benton

Benton has been somewhat limited by nagging injuries that prevented his progress, but even if healthy I doubt he would crack into the one's on either team. Bot WR corps are laden with talent.

6. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

Who's this Reuben Randle guy you're talking about? Does he play for LSU? I kind of remember a guy with that name from last year, he was a pretty good receiver as I remember. But I guess he must have left the team because I don't see him anymore.

7. LaSalleAve

I asked the same thing the other day in a thread and apparently he has a broken finger.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

You ruined his anti-Miles sarcasm right there.

9. west_tex_tiger

That would explain a lot. I see him in the game, but only being used as a blocker. IMO, he may be our best pure receiver. The main thing holding him back (other than the finger) has been Jordan Jefferson. I'd like to see Lee get to work with a healthy Randle.

10. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

You remember that thread from last week? Can a negatiger be as big a fan as a positiger? I told you no. This is why. You are so blinded by your own negativity that you don't even question "Why?". You just automatically assume Miles is an idiot, and that's why Randle hasn't done much lately.

Check around...I had another poster do the work for me the other day, but like he told me, you could have easily just googled it. Randle broke a finger before the UF game in practice. He only had one catch against UF, and none against McNeese. I would venture to guess they didn't use him much against McNeese in hopes he would be ready for AU.