Defense pressure is more than just pollack...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bulldogjones, Sep 16, 2003.

1. bulldogjones

bulldogjones Freshman

Hey lsu fans. Been reading many of the posts about pollack and how we won't be effective. I must disagree, and not just because I'm a dawg fan. YOu guys have some great players on your Offense and it will be the greatest test for Pollack and Co. this year. However, there are some intangibles that I don't think you may be considering this year about our defense. Our defense is fast and always flying around. Pollack is one of the intangibles in that he may not always make the big sack, but he is a CONSTANT and unrelenting pressure on the QB. He will get to the QB, whether alone or with help. The guys to watch this weekend, other than Pollack, are Thomas Davis and Sean Jones. If you watch you will see these two guys and Pollack on almost every tackle, qb pressure and/or sack. This will be our first big test and will be a watershed game for our season. I like our chances because of many factors, but mainly because CMR and Greene don't get rattled. The exude a quiet confidence and just get the job done. Anyway, should be a great matchup Saturday. Go DAWGS!

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

3 weeks ago Southlink didn't think you guys would win a game. Now you're loaded with playmakers who can't be stopped. I guess we'll find out Saturday.

3. bulldogjones

bulldogjones Freshman

I think we're not quite as good on D as last year, but I do think we're faster on D than last year. IE: our LB core last year was bigger, but this year they're younger and smaller, but faster.

4. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

How do you think your DB's will do against our track star core of receivers?

5. bulldogjones

bulldogjones Freshman

I think our DB's can hang with em. YOu've got some great receivers, but DB is one of our strengths on D in that we return our starters from last year. If you look at the last 6 games or so, you will see that our D, including DB's, are pretty selfish. Thornton, Jennings, Bryant, Davis are pretty good, possibly the best in the SEC. They're fast and like to lay the wood. Plus, getting the pressure from the Dline is helpful. still think it will be a tight matchup.

6. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

Now your exaggeration is getting a bit ridiculous. I thought 8-9 wins would be more realistic for this team. Come on...everytime you speak about it...it gets lower.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Dramatic license?:)

8. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

From every pub I've watched, I thought that y'alls DB's were the low point of the D? Even if they are good, their is no way they can hang with the All-American Clayton, the solid Henderson, and the speedy Green....

9. dawg_o_rama

dawg_o_rama Freshman

OUR DB situation

was desperate for the Clemson game...due to suspensions and injuries we had ZERO depth behind our 4 returning starters from last year...that isn't the case now..our Starters are one of the Top 4 groups in the conference..combine their skill and experience with our pass rush and we'll do OK against your speedy WRs, imo.

10. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

I think they'll do just fine..

Why? Because I don't think LSU will be able to mount much of a running game. Our linebackers are too fast...

This secondary has dealt with speed before very effectively, especially when they are looking for the pass. If you could freeze our defensive backs with a running threat, that would make it much more difficult.

Our secondary pracitices against our own speedsters on a daily basis. There may be a slight difference, but not a huge difference.

On the other hand, Greene thrives when he can freeze a defense with play action.

From my point of view, Georgia's running game, and LSU's lack of one, will determine the outcome of this contest.