Defense (something i noticed)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Oct 27, 2009.

1. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Yeah, and like everyone else, I have been VERY happy with the LB play. Glad to see them finally get some pressure on the QB. Ultimately I have faith in Chavis (the proof is in the pudding, right?), and I think he would chose his opportunities wisely. Even the best guess wrong on occasion, though, so as long as the percentages work out in our favor, I'll be happy.

Coleman has been unreal.

2. tigerbait86

tigerbait86 Veteran Member

The defensive package is more of a 3-3-5 stack. But what john chavis did was brought danny mcCray up from a safety/nickel position. This gives you 4 very athletic players rushing the QB. It gave the auburns O-line problems because the speed and athlectism of the players they had to block. when they dropped back the 3 defensive lineman that was mainly to take away any passing lanes they are not assigned any coverages because you still have 4 db's back there covering their assignments. Dont get me wrong this is very similar to 3-4 defense. You might see this same package in high schools in the state of louisiana. Mainly your powerhouses and teams with alot of athleticism who want to take advantage of it.

3. eL eS shU

eL eS shU Founding Member

They introduced the Defense as a 3-4 before the game. It caught my attention when they listed Sheppard, Cutrera, Coleman and Riley starting at LB.

4. tigerbait86

yes but perry riley was not on the field. It was danny mcCray which is a safety not a line backer. Like i said it is very very similar to 3-4 defense. In my opinion for it to be a true 3-4 defense another linebacker would have to be on the field. with a 3-3-5 defense you actually have 2 SS's. On that play one them was danny McCray. The worst case scenario when we drop back the defensive lineman is if they were to run the ball which could easily lead to big gains when relying on a defensive lineman to make an open field tackle.

5. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Not to take anything away from JC, because his defense is stellar, but Brick and Cooper need to get a lil credit too for some of the success.

6. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

It's definitely a team effort. :wave:

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

since when has mccray been regarded as "very athletic"?

i think i read, in an article about recent DL commit, that chavis said lsu would be playing 3-4.

and i vaguely remember seeing all DL drop back and LBs rush in another game. N.O.? Atl?

8. tigerbait86

ok.. Danny McCray may not be very atheletic but he is atheletic enough to give an o-line problems. A 3-3-5 defense is pretty much a nickel package.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I think the fact that our Defensive Line engaged Auburn's line gave McCray the time he needed to get into the backfield.

This isn't a play thats going to be done alot, but i think the whole point of this thread was to point out that Chavis is dialing up more blitz packages, where he wasn't earlier in the season. I think its because he is comfortable with his corner's and safeties, and trusts them, and trusts his linebackers are going to get to the quarterback.

10. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

This thread reminds me of these clips from an article I read about the 2001 Florida vs Tenn game. Note that Grossman finished #2 in the 2001 Heisman vote, that Florida (10-2) finished #3 in 2001 and that Tennessee (11-2) finished #4 in 2001 (with just 30 pts between the two teams -- Florida had 1,611 -- Tenn 1,581).