Defensive Adjustment

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerpub, Nov 17, 2012.

1. tigerpub

tigerpub Founding Member

What could have been done here? As far as I could tell, there was never one single adjustment made.

2. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Seems like everything the other team is doing is working. I hope Chief figures it out.

3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

If you look at the stats you get a bi polar view...15 out of 35 looks pretty good 3 ints looks pretty good but 20 yards per reception is horrible.

It looked like the DBs were expecting and playing for the back shoulder passes. If you remember Simon's int was because he was in a trailing position. The coordination between the CBs and Safetys was poor. Most passes were where the split in responsibility occurred. Finally it looked like a couple of the reb WRs were pretty big and that caused problems.

Also the DL wasn't getting pressure on the QB until the last two drives. I saw tons of holding by the reb line which had its effect.

I agree our pass d has seemed to regress this past 2 weeks and 2 minutes. Maybe our schemes have been figured out and they are taking advantage of tendencies...they aren't playing with the desperation they had been as the O has taken off...maybe they are tired and don't have the legs to react quickly. I don't know but they had better turn it up a notch Friday.

4. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

The defensive secondary needs to play the pass, leave the run to the front 7. Forget about it. Focus ONLY ON RECEIVERS. That is kind of middle school, but as we have it now, that is pretty much where we are. We got spoilt, and now it is painful.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I think Ole Miss exposed the fact that LSU's defense plays way too aggressive in coverage and tries to jump routes, make big hits etc. one thing I noticed is Jalen Collens doesn't need to be playing at the 2 corner, Jalen Mills does and I don't know why he wasn't yesterday. In fact the only time I saw Jalen Mills was when that bullshit personal foul was called on him for blocking Wallace on the int, Wallace wasn't a qb anymore he was a defender.

Lots of bullshit calls yesterday, that crew was pathetic.

6. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Speaking of officiating, I am confused by that PF call on the interception. If our guy's knee was down on the 25, I thought that the play is dead there. That being the case, why were still penalized for a PF if the play was already dead?

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I think a personal foul can be called at any time, regardless of whether or not the play is dead. Otherwise, players could sucker-punch each other after the whistle.

8. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

Yeah that worked out really well on the Wallace TD run.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

That's the thing though, the flag should have never been thrown. I could see a flag being thrown if after Wallace throws the pick he just stands there and is away from the play and is rocked by someone.

1. He wasn't away from the play, he was trying to get in and make a tackle.
    2. 2 helmet to helmet is only supposed to be called on a qb who is acting as a qb, and a defenseless receiver. How is Jalen Mills a guy who is shorter than Bo Wallace going to helmet to helmet him? Wallace was trying to make a tackle and is no longer a qb he is a defender that lowered his own helmet to take on a blocking Jalen Mills.

Also, we gave up a TD on a pass where our defenders thought the offensive line committed a false start because their center did the Pouncey head bob, something PJ was flagged for 2 weeks prior vs Alabama. This needs to be addressed, it can't be a penalty one week and not a penalty another week.

Also, it fucking sucks that PJ got a flag on a huge play from Mett to Wright for something that Barrett Jones and Womack do on every play.

The SEC has once again proven that we have the worst, redneck goobers in stripes of any sports league including replacement refs and the NBA. Just god awfully atrocious.

10. cwatsn

cwatsn Loyal Servant

This. I lost count of how many holding calls did not get flagged.

Our secondary is just not playing on a consistently good level this year. I don't know if it is from playing to aggressive or what, but they are just not in sync alot of times.

I am hoping some of these guys that are thinking they are ready for the the draft, reflect a little more on that.

I would love to see this defense back intact next season, they would be force to reckon with...wishful thinking.