Defensive stats to consider.. interesting stuff...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Jan 3, 2010.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

16 ppg (ranked 12th)... the 2007 team allowed 19.6 per game, so... not bad I guess, especially considering how much time they spent on the field.

16 ppg... the 2008 allowed 25.9 per game, so... significant improvement. Or is it?

In yards per game:
    2007 283 ypg (ranked 3rd), 2008 and 2009 326. So LSU gave up the exact same number of yards per game this year as last year, but held the teams to almost 13 less points. Bend-Don't-Break is the phrase I believe applies here. I hate that style of defense. Its very much a change from the attacking styles of the last three DCs.

We are very accustom to having a top 5 defense at LSU. While the defense in 2009 was good, it wasn't the dominant force we need... The kind of dominance of teams like Alabama (2) and Florida (4). Chavis is a servicable DC... he will allow the defense to compete, but unless the offense is a top 10 offense, then its just not enough.

So... Solutions...
    A. Get someone here who will run an aggressive defense that will be able to control the game and offset the slow, ball-control offense (Think Superbowl Ravens). However, for this to work, you have to have the offense on the field longer than your opponent...
    b. Bent-Don't-Break, but we have to get someone on the offensive side who is gonna get LSU back to 40 ppg (Mike Leach-ish guy). Shootouts suck, but you can still win that way.

1 person likes this.
  2. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

You were doing well until you mentioned Saban. End of thread for me.

3. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

Can't even take it serious anymore. Almost good job.