Deism

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CParso, Feb 21, 2005.

1. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Then Jesse Ventura must be in line to be the next Pope! :rofl:

I had a philosophy teacher that once said that most religious people across belief systems have a belief and hope for eternal happiness and fulfillment. The best atheists can hope for is to have a nice day. Not exactly on point on this discussion, but it's among my favorite quotes...so I use it whenever possible.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Even with the Big Bang & evolution, something has to start that whole process. This leads me to believe in a higher being.

3. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

It should be noted that Creationism, the Big Bang, and evolution should not be considered mutually exclusive, IMO.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Yes, this is true about religion. It's also what makes it so easy to believe that every religion is made up. "I can tell people they go to Heaven and get 30 virgins, and they'll crash into buildings with planes for me!" Religion appeals to human's most basic instincts - happiness & fulfillment. This, to me, seems very likely that it was created just for that one reason.

For as a philosopher once said, "If God didn't exist, it would be necessary to create him." and another one, "Religion is the opiot of the masses."

5. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

good read on the Big Bang Theory......
    http://www.umich.edu/~gs265/bigbang.htm

so....why are we here? who is responsible? are we alone? is there another planet like us out there someplace asking these same questions?

i hate these questions. neither religion nor science can answer most of these questions. it is funny a poster here mentioned if there is a higher power, then who created him? my 4 year old asked me that this past week, and I had no answer........and disturbingly it was the first time I ever thought about that. would there not have to be another that came before God?

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

maybe so, and maybe not, but they arent answered yet. when i saw "we know nothing", i mean us now, not humans including future generations.

when cparso says:

that is like an infant saying they dont get the heisenberg uncertainty principle. quantum theory doesnt make sense to me, but i do not dispute it. some things about science do not make sense to anyone. perhaps our brains are not equipped for it.

any claim that the universe must have been created by a higher power is based on hope, or nothing, or logic that may or may not even slightly apply to the question.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I've thought of that too... if there is a God, where did he come from?

However, that's where I black out and just say screw it. That's why I call it a "higher being" Because, um, it's higher and can magically appear with no scientific explanations.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

agreed.

yo that was me yall!

i am reading a book now that everyone should read. "a short history of nearly everything". it talks plenty about the origins of the universe, and how far we have gotten in our research on it, and how cripplingly stupid we are, when considering the big picture.

9. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Ths is one of Philosphy's oldest arguements. Aristotle believed in an unmoved mover and an uncuased cause. St Thomas Aquinas surmised that God was the unmoved mover. Thats enough for me.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

By this definition, I might be a Diest.

But certainly not by this definition.

If one believes in God, his personal concept of God is unique. If this is true, one's interaction with the diety must be individual and direct. By the definition of deism above, when diests become a "movement" and all agree to believe alike, then yet another artificial religion has been created. Sheesh!

It is my belief that the intercession of shamans, prophets, and "movements" into the interaction between God and the individual leads to all that is wrong with religion.