Democrats Convention

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by SabanFan, Jul 26, 2004.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Yeah. He's almost as ugly as his daughter, Amy. And that, son, is butt ugly.

2. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

My Thoughts on Last Night's Democratic Convention

I watched a good portion of the convention last night, not because I wanted to, but because I felt I owed it to myself to hear first hand what is being said, rather than reading someone else's opinion the next day. I must say I was impressed by Barack Obama, until he trotted out a version of that old Democratic story about the poor girl he met from East St. Louis who, despite having excellent grades and a desire to succeed, couldn't afford to go to college. These types of "sob stories" the Democrats love to throw out sicken me. It is nothing more than an effort to attract ignorant, uneducated voters, with promises of another handout that will somehow magically make their lives better, through no effort of their own. One minute Obama was hailing his own success as an example of what opportunities we have in America, the next he was bemoaning a system that doesn't provide education opportunities to lower income Americans.

I know many young people whose families cannot afford to send them to college, yet through grants, loans, and - I know this one makes Democrats everywhere cringe - WORKING, are able to put themselves through school. I admit this is considered a minor issue, but as someone who worked my way through 4 years of college, worked 4 ½ years and then returned to grad school and worked my way through that program, it always irritates me when I hear someone complaining that there aren’t opportunities for all Americans to obtain an education. If you want it, the opportunity is there, despite what the Democrats say

I listened to Ron Reagan’s speech about stem cell research. It was obvious early in his speech that, as I expected, he was there only because he is the son of Ronald Reagan. I did think his speech was interesting and he made a compelling argument, but as far as having any real significance to the Democratic Convention, I don’t believe he had any purpose being there.

Finally, I listened to what I think was maybe 15 – 20 minutes of Ms. Kerry’s speech. I can’t say for sure, because I lost track of time very shortly after she began to speak. I think, quite possibly, I was so mesmerized by her use of several different languages in her opening; I might have been put under a spell as she completely captivated me and the rest of her audience. I believe this is so, because as she spoke and the cameras panned the crowd, they all had the same expression I believe I must have had on my face. You know the one, it’s that “what in the hell did they saying look” - the same one you get when you are listening to a Lou Holtz interview. Although I really don’t remember the subject of most of her rambling rhetoric, I do remember Ms. Kerry saying once her husband is elected, he will continue to put himself on the front line to defend America, just has he did in Vietnam. For some reason, I had a vision of old John cruising around the lake at Camp David in his PT boat looking for terrorists. I listened for a few minutes more, and then decided I had heard enough and turned off the TV.

I honestly tried to be as open-minded as possible and observe the goings on last night, but I suppose my opinions have already been formed. I appreciate the opportunity to post my thoughts and opinions. Before last night, I probably would not have done so; I would have feared boring you with my aimless ramblings and observations. That being said, I guess the Democrats and Ms. Kerry did teach me one thing last night, we all have the right to be heard, even if we don’t say anything worth hearing. :usaflagwa

3. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

Marc, Great post.

I agree with all of your opinions of last evening so I won't bore anyone with reiterating what you said. Other than i fell asleep watching the ketchup lady. God she was boring. :usaflagwa :laflagwav :lsug:

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

this is one issue where the republicans could not be more wrong.

an unrelated note is i never have much respect fore someone who is a huge supprter of some disease or scientific research because their relative died of it. where were they before their relative died? nobody cares about multiple sclorosis until their mom gets it. anyways, that is beside the point.

republicans and their religion stand in the way of valuable life saving research, and it one of the few issues democrats are better on.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I really think the Demoncrats dropped the ball putting Theresa Heinz Kerry as the keynote speaker last night. She had nothing to say, and gave to no insight as to who John Kerry is as a person. They blew this night.

6. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

She spent the whole time basically introducing herself and her own viewpoints. I agree that the ball was dropped, she should have focused at some point on describing her husband. For the record, Barack Obama was the keynote speaker.

7. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

I'm about as conservative as they come and i'm a fundamentalist but I believe we should use stem cells. God, has given us scientists so that they can make the world a better place for everybody

8. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

I agree Martin. Stem Cell research holds "promise" not guarantees. So lets have government regulate this sensitive research, but lets spend some money looking into the possibilities.

If our government can spend $2,000,000.00 researching the effect of cows farting on the ozone, we should be able to structure, regulate and research this potential.

Blindly following a Party affiliation is wrong. Think for your self America.

Just my $.02.
    :usaflagwa :laflagwav :lsug:

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

any time government slows science it is terrible. stem cell reasearch isnt just sort of important. it is incredibly important, and the government should step aside and let science do as much research as possible on stem cells. bush is dead wrong on stem cells.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Joh Edwards is giving his speech. Does he go to the HelmetHead Hairstyling Salon? Did he get his hairspray from Jimmy Johnson?