Dems and Reps Agree on at Least One Issue

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by TigerWins, May 23, 2006.

1. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Point is though as part of the request for a search warrant, they told the judge they had no other option. I understand the part about perception but Jefferson brought this on himself. They asked for a quiet search and for him to turn over evidence without going through the warrant request and no media. But him and his attorney refused.....so they went and got a search warrant.

And to put this on a Republican DOF is ludicrious. They went through the proper channels and then went to a liberal judge for a warrant and got it.

This has nothing to do with separation of powers. This is the executive and judicial branches of government searching a PUBLIC office for evidence of bribery of which they have on tape.

And you don't seem to be too worried about separation of powers when the legislative branch makes unprecedented calls for documents from the executive branch. The hypocrisy is astounding.

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

What is the name of the judge?

3. LSUGradin99

You voted for him. :wink:

4. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Thomas J. Hogan.

5. LSUGradin99

Do you mean Thomas F. Hogan? I was just wondering where the judge was mentioned by name. I've not really read many articles about this issue.

Edit: I did some reading.. It's Thomas Francis Hogan. He was initially apponted to the court by Reagan in 1982. He became chief judge in 2001. This is the same judge who ordered Judith Miller (New York Times reporter) to reveal her source. As we know, she went to jail instead of doing so.

That's all I have so far. What are your indicators of him being a liberal judge?

Looks conservative to me.....

6. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Sorry, I meant F Hogan. I saw the warrant the other day and where he signed it.

I saw on a few blogs that this guy is like SCJ Kennedy (appointed by Reagan).......can swing whichever way but mostly comes down kind of liberal. Not as bad as Souter who was appointed by a Republican too. But somewhat like him or Souter.

Someone on the blog tried to make a case like Red that this was a Republican witch hunt. Lawyers from DC were saying that Hogan was anything but a Reagan conservative.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Only I didn't say that, you aren't paying attention. I said that the republican congressmen are fighting this because they fear an upcoming democratic administration will use this as a precedent to do it as well. Both parties are fighting this because of the potential for abuse.

8. LSUGradin99

Just curious as to what the basis of your comment was. Judges like Hogan tend to ride the fence even better than Red. So it can be difficult to determine any true bias they may have towards one side or the other.

I had read on a few blogs as well. One in particular was speaking about the Miller case and pointed out that if it happened during Clinton's time, a "liberal judge (very much unlike Hogan)" would have been utilized. Others mentioned similar things in reference to some past court cases. That's all I really had to go on though.

I read this forum (the RT) regulalrly but rarely post. I don't like the conservative and liberal tags being tossed around at will and seek clarification sometimes. :)

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Translation: Most judges are balanced and unbiased . . . just what we expect from a judge.

10. LSUGradin99

but not always what we get

For reference, see the circus act every time a new supreme court justice is appointed.