Describe your frustration level should Les name Jennings starter vs A&M?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 17, 2014.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's a polite coach's way of saying that Harris can't run the entire offense but he's got a hell of an arm. If he goes in, he's going in to pass the football and A&M knows it. I can't see Les risking injury to Harris in the last game by running him into a wall if our rushing game isn't there.

Lets face it, A&M is a pitiful #104 in the nation is rushing defense and an impressive #10 in passing offense. Their offense goes right into the strength of the LSU #6 pass defense (#2 pass efficiency defense). Their defense is poor against LSU preferred power running offense. The Aggies can be run on. Some long, 8-minute LSU drives will keep their offense off the field where they can't score. If they get behind and have to throw, it plays right into our defensive strengths.

Fellers, we are going to run the ball on these boys.

We are going to run and Jennings is going to start because he has the most experience running that offense. Texas A&M plays man coverage without a deep safety a lot and downfield is where Jennings is most accurate, so I expect him to try them long if they stack the box. We may see Harris go in if we are ahead a few scores and let him try to pad it. We may also see Harris if we are down two scores and they already know we are going to pass. Putting in Harris for some specific pass plays at that point won't be tipping off the defense and gives Cameron other options.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    LSUDad likes this.
  2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Rice put up 480 yards on A&M this year, I was at the game. Rice, yes Rice, had more total yards than a&m did in that game.

Anyone going to the game? Anyone wanting tickets to the game?

3. Rouxleaux

Rouxleaux Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?

Big problem is "we are going to run on the ball on these boys" is they know it, we know it, North America knows it, and I am pretty sure countries who have never heard of football knows it by now. In games against teams like the gumps we can pull it off because we are jacked up for those games. Games like R-kansas when we don't really give a damn.......well you know what happens. Running the ball all the time isn't the answer and we have to have a passing game of some kind to keep teams honest. I hope we run the ball down the faggies throat but I am not so sure. I still say Harris gives us the better option because he IMHO is the better passer and, as I have said a thousand times, can hand the ball off just as good as AJ.

4. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

Agree. Haven't shown the ability to do anything else, anyway.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't relish the sour taste that leaves in my mouth. So Les will again stick with the bread and butter plays

6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Most teams run defense improves drastically when they are repeatedly allowed to put 8-9 in the box.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I agree with Red, I think we run for 400 yards vs A&M. Pass for 90 more.

We aren't going to see Harris unless Jennings gets injured.

alfredeneuman likes this.
  8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

This will just be another opportunity for Jennings to showcase his talent and Harris to get gain experience with different SEC benches.

LSUDad and shane0911 like this.
  9. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

How would you know?? I've never seen either of them play!! Put o top of that, 80% run plays, ... you could put anyone in and toss the ball to McGee or Fornette. That really doesn't take a lot of skill.

OTOH ... put it in the context of my comment, that CLM has said so, he prefers a running QB .. but he's putting them in a pro-style offense. This is an admitted bias, that probably entered in with regards to Jennings jumping Rivers or Rettig last year ... cause it damn sure wasn't his passing ability.

As for taking snaps ... I didn't see Harris take many snaps at all this year, except at the first of the season and AU ..... he obviously wasn't ready. ... but neither was/is Jennings, at least not in a pro-style offense. Jenning's passes are pathetic, poorly placed and usually behind. Rivers or Rettig may not have been any better ... like I said, I"ve never seen them play, and neither have you, but their passing game couldn't be any worse than what we've seen out of Jennings.

IJMO ... if it's "reps" you are concerned about, I think we would have been as well under Rivers or Rettig, and let Jennings and Harris get thos practice reps that you seem to think they need. Funny thing though ... J Winston, J Football, and others ... all RS Freshman don't seem to have that problem.

Maybe its that they [LSU QBs] all suck ... and it really doesn't matter.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

of course a bag of bricks could have been better at times and should have been tried at some point. no one cares who was on the bench. anyone else on the bench needed reps and jennings needed to sit at times.

so yeah, im in the camp of theres no way any of them are a worse passer than ajj. anyone above 12 can throw better opposite handed on many of his bad throws.

also, anyone else would have likely improved much more than jennings has.

thats the worst part of it all. next year its the same jordan jefferson groundhog day show all over again. for 6 of les' 11 years. thats rather depressing.