Devery Henderson

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerFan23, Aug 4, 2004.

1. friday

friday Founding Member

bottom line is that if this is about $15k, Devery should tell his agent, jimmy sexton, that he's ready to sign because he needs all the training camp he can get. remember this is a guy who has played only 2 years at WR. the problem here is per the TP, the No. 52 pick Jacob Rogers received an above-market contract from the Dallas Cowboys. Rogers received a $1.425 million bonus, which is more than the $1.4 million Dontarrious Thomas received from Minnesota at No. 48. Rogers' deal raised the relative value of Henderson's spot at No. 50.

Regardless whether Devery will play much this year, TejasTiger, this guy needs all the snaps he can get. As we have seen many times before, rookies who miss training camp, for the most part, lose an entire season of experience. during the regular season, you tweak and game plan, whereas in training camp you learn.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

its not about snaps. as stated this could be his first and final contract so he has to get every cent out of it he can since Mr Sexton and Uncle Sam will get half of it.

3. friday

friday Founding Member

c'mon dude, think about this a little deeper. for a player like devery who's still learning the WR position, the snaps mean everything to him securing another contract down the road. first of all, 15K of $1.4m is a little more than 1%. if you'd rather haggle over such a nominal amount rather than get your butt to camp and work so you can impress and play for another contract, then your priorities are out of whack. secondly, how many good players in this day, do you think actually play out their contracts? if you are a good player and the team decides that you're in their future plans, the team usually will extend or renegotiate your current contract before it expires. finally, the biggest problem here is a league-wide problem. the agent and his desire to get the max contract (more money in his pocket) along with the intent not to screw up the draft position pay scale. these agents influence these young kids so much it winds up hurting them for their own selfish reasons. when the agent gives someone like devery a cash advance to buy a car or a piece of jewlery, the agent immediately has leverage over the young kid.

I'm sure if sexton asked devery straight up, do you want to get in camp or do you want me to continue negotiating the $15K, he'd say, drop it, I'm heading to camp. that's just not reality in this day and age.

btw- RBs have a avg. career span of probably 3-4 years, WRs are def longer.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

good points. definitely true on the contracts meaning nothing anyhow. yeah his ass should be there since he is falling behind but given its the saints, brooks wont be able to find him anyhow. heh

i dont think any agent would haggle over 15k....it has to be about a signing bonus or some other verbage i would guess. but who knows....winslow is only 15 million off on his.

5. Tigersmack

Tigersmack Founding Member

Loomis said it was about more than 15K

It was about bonus money. They had already settled the salary. I don't know any second rounder or agent or team who would keep a guy off the field for 15K. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

6. 00Tiger

00Tiger Founding Member

ESPN has him listed as already signed.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Since no one on either side has said publicly how much of a difference there is on the bonus there may just be much more than a 15K margin.

8. friday

friday Founding Member

devery has officially signed. he's got a long week of catch up.